BCD Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilkittydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at the Aqua Lung Pearl BCD, and its well up there in costs ($535). I'm also looking at the Sherwood Luna. I can get it cheaper in a package at my local dive shop, but the package is out of my price range. The Luna does not have everything I want like the Pearl does, but the dive shop doesn't carry Aqua Lung. I want to know, Is the Pearl worth the higher price?? It seems like a wonderful fitting BC, but I have no where to try one on. What should I do? Kinda confused!

My fiancée has the pearl (i3) and loves it. Very comfy she says and the i3 is great when you get used to it. Have heard some people talk about snagging it etc but I can't see these things actually happening

but I have no where to try one on.
Any of these close by?

AQUALUNG DEALERS

ASHEVILLE SCUBA, LLC
27 RESORT DRIVE
ASHEVILLENC28806
Phone: (828) 575-2386

BERMUDA TRIANGLE-GREENVILLE
3620 PELHAM ROAD SUITE 6
GREENVILLESC29615
Phone: 864-286-3483

SKI-SCUBA CENTER INC.
2543 SUTHERLAND AVENUE
KNOXVILLETN37919
Phone: 865-523-9177

LAKE NORMAN SCUBA
482 E RIVER HIGHWAY
MOORESVILLENC28117
Phone: 704-660-3483

If not, there's an Aqualung Dealer locator here: http://www.aqualung.com/us/

I bought a brand new Aqualung Pearl (with the standard inflator, not the i3) on eBay for cheap ($285, but I really got a steal). I'm diving with it for the first time this weekend. It feels great on land, much more comfortable than the Sherwood Zodiac rentals I had for my OW class. At first I was wondering what the heck the built in sports bra was, but now I understand!

Will let you know how I like it in the water. :)

eBay can be scary, but you can also find great deals there.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy without trying one on. Our bodies are so very different. Two women who are the same height and weight can still be proportionally different. I have a short torso, but I've seen women my height who do not. Or if you are chesty the BCD you choose may not work well (or vice versa). I have an Aqualung Pearl and I later got a Zeagle Zena and will never go back to the Pearl (I got really lucky with the Zena - my local dive shop was closing out their Zeagle line and it was marked way down). The Pearl feels too bulky now. But so much is about personal preference and about what kind of diving you'll be doing. Good luck. I hope you find a great deal and the right BC for you!

This is not a gender specific problem, men face the same issues. As others said you really need to try on the BC first and ideally take it for a dive. Over $500 is a lot of money. Also remember that prices are negotiable at dive shops, so if $535 is list they should be able to come down at least $100.

I have an Aqualung Pearl with the conventional inflator, and as I've been assisting instructors as I prepared for my instructor exam, I've had a chance to dive it a lot, both in the pool and cold water. It is equally comfortable in both environments. You should be able to find a Pearl without the I3 for a great price.

As an aside, I was in my Cressi Travelite on a crowded dinghy next to someone in an Aqualung Pearl with the I3, and realized that the hem of my bcd was resting on her inflator, so know that it can be inflated without the diver realizing it. I let her know what happened as soon as I realized it, as we were preparing to do a negative back roll entry.

I agree with all of the above, that you will need to try it on before you buy.

Best of luck!

IMO the pearl is worth it. The sports bra is supportive and comfortable and the hips are cut higher to fit women's bodies more closely.

Aqualung also donate to breast cancer research for every one purchased.

Aqualung warranty is superb, lasts the lifetime of the BCD and 100% replacement for the first 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom