BCD Help Please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkmcdon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a used Zeagle Ranger LTD. I hooked it up and inflated the bladder and let it sit for a few hours. After Approx. 2hrs it had lost about 10% of its air. Is this normal or does this mean its defective? I have no idea. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks! :idk:

It's not normal to for a BCD to leak, but with temperature fluctuations or handling (getting squeezed), the over pressure valves will not allow the BCD to stay 100% full. If the BCD got warm while it was full, maybe by sitting in the sun for a short time, the air would have expanded and escaped out the over pressure valves. When it cools off, the air will contract and the BCD will be less full.

A good test would be to fill it to ALMOST full and let it sit in a closet or other temperature controlled spot for a day. If there is a leak, even a tiny one, it will be obviously softer the next day.

It was in a climate controlled area in my office just sitting there. It was obviously less full after two hours. So seems like there is a leak for sure. Thx

Depends, if you filled it to the max with a power inflator is it quite possible you were just on the edge of the relief valve doing it's job and it bleed down a little to remove the pressure. I would be more interested in the next 90%. If is still leaks down past the original 10% I would look for the cause. While it is possible there is a leak in the bladder, things like that do happen, it is more likely you have a loose deflator hose, loose dump valve or possibly the hose connection (I assume you have the new model that has a removable inflator that can be attached to a garden hose for flushing) to the LP inflator is loose. Another common problem is a small piece of sand or lint stuck in one of the dump valves. To find the leak fill the bladder part way - no need to fill it completely and submerge the BC at different places, looking for bubbles. I would concentrate on the dump valves and all the connections associtated with the LP inflator. If there is a problem, your dealer should be happy to help with the warranty - assuming it is under warranty.

Just reread it and realized its used, my bet goes with a loose inflator hose or a dump valve with sand in it, a real common problem and usually a good flush will fix that.

Bring it back home, inflate it with your breath till full, cover the entire thing with soapy water n find the leaks if any.

SangP

I agree with Herman to check the dump valves. open them up and make sure there is no sand or debris on the sealing faces. While you are at it check the seals for impressions. If the BC has sat for a long time the seals may have the impression of the hard valve ring. Since it may not always remain perfectly concentric sealing can be erratic.

Pete

sang is on the money. put it in the tub with some weight ontop, fill it up and see if it leaks.

also herman is right.... relief valves have 2 set points. the pressure at which they 'crack' and the pressure at which they "blow off". you hear the second one. this is just a tolerance thing and is just how they work....

Last edited:
Thank you all for the excellent advice. Scuba Board is a fantastic place!!! :D

I recently bought a used 4x4 truck; got a really good deal. The brake fluid needs topping off every couple weeks and the speedometer does not work all the time. I make sure I do not get into situations where those issues are a problem.

I have student BC's that leak a little when fully inflated. During a dive you can only see little bubbles if you dive on your back; no bubbles when diving normally.

Back
Top Bottom