BCD for a big guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a big guy and I have no issues using a simply Hogarthian style web harness with my SS backplates. Infinitely adjustable. Comfortable.

There are lots of BCD's out there for big guys. I too like the Brigade as I work for Scubatoys but if I were trying to put you in a BCD here in my store I would most likely try the Tusa Imprex Power Pro BCD as it is one of the only BCD's specifically designed for bigger guys. It only comes in the two sizes M/L and XL/XXL and is one of the most adjustable BCD's on the market. It is the combination of BCD and BP/W. I have sold quite a few of these to some of our larger police officers in town and they have come back in ranting and raving on how nice they are. No pinching or binding. Everything sits where it needs to without having to force it. The pockets are easy to get to. This seems to be a big deal as most big guys have trouble reaching the pockets when fit in a standard style BCD. The Tusa Imprex Power Pro is a great BCD and if you would like to take a look at it please follow the link. You wont regret it. Tusa BC 0501 Imprex Power Pro BCD discounts on sale Tusa They are typically $649.95 but if you contact me I can certainly do you even better.

May also be worth a call to Tobin George at Deep Sea Supply since he has a bunch of different sized plates so may be able to get you into one that is a bit better fitting.

Jim, I think you can get the side plates that Dive Rite uses from XS which while they wouldn't be a true H, they move the shoulder attachment to about underneath the arm put or so which is nice.

I would suggest BP/W because no matter how well the system fits you need a crotch strap since your waist is bigger than your chest. The Dive Rite Deluxe harness with the chest strap will help to route everything properly and more comfortably. If you get smaller you can always take all of the hardware from that harness and swap it to a one piece harness for about $15 in webbing.

Heed this advise. "You need a crotch strap".

I bought a Zeagle Express Tech added a crotch strap, SS hardware, Zip Touch integrated weights and a 35# wing. Oh yeah, mine was called a deluxe with shoulder pads and a cushion for the back removed those quickly along with most of the plastic items. I will never use any BCD or BP/W without the crotch strap it makes all the difference for your underwater trim and surface floating.

Where in Texas are you, I am in Odessa most of the time. I have a few things you might be able to try out. From BP/W set ups to a couple back inflate BCD's. Let me know I can bring them down next time in town . I'm 6'5 and 295

Back
Top Bottom