BCD/BP for 6'5" diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...
King Kong Matt went through this issue recently, perhaps he'll chime in and report on what he ended up doing.

OK...sorry, but I just got back from a business trip and am just now seeing this. Let me give you the information that I know and you can draw your own conclusions.

First, I have learned that height as it is typically measured is not an accurate means of determining whether or not you will need a custom BP. Your height from your waist up, on the other hand, is. I am 6"8, but most of my height comes from a long and lanky set of legs - I tried a standard Halcyon BP and found that it fit pretty comfortably with the waist strap about where it should be when propoerly configured against your back.

Second, and I don't know if this means anything, or whether you want to just chalk this up to PR...I spoke to both 5thD and to EE. Both of them told me that a BP was designed to fit anyone and everyone. 5thD even let me in on a factoid that I did not know...AndrewG (I have never met him or seen him on person), who happens to be the training director for GUE is 6"7 and dives a standard Halcyon BP.

FWIW,
KKM

I use a back inflated Beuchat Master Lift Tek. No problem. Fits well and had enough buoyancy.

You should decide which way you're going and than try out a few sizes. Strange as it might seem, most XL BCs will probably fit you.

As for a BP/Wing setup, which I don't use yet, I understand you shouldn't have a problem as well, going with the longer patern.

Ari

:)

DaveO once bubbled...
Inquiring minds want to know!

Well I went to the LDS (I hate the drive) and I've narrowed the decision to BP, and Scuba Pro Knighthawk (after an informative discussion on the tek board I have decided I will definatley want to dive doubles at some point in the future so I have eliminated the SeaQuest Balance). Bonuses are coming up at the end of December so I will be going back first week in January and have them rig up the Halcyon for me and try it out next to the Knighthawk. I'll let you know then which way I go. It does sound like my tall brethren have not had problems with a regular BP so if it fits right, I will probably go with it. But I will let you know. Ideally I would like to at least try it in a pool, but I haven't found anyone in the DC area who sells Halcyon who also has a pool. I notice you are from NOVA, do you know of someone in the area?

The only Halcyon dealer around here is Sea Ventures in Fairfax, and they don't rent Halcyon gear. (They didn't have any Halcyon gear in the shop when I stopped by, so definitely call first if this is the LDS you mentioned earlier.) However, Extreme Exposure http://www.extreme-exposure.com/ has a 30-day money back guarantee on Halcyon equipment: try it out, and return it used within 30 days for a full refund.

Dave, thanks. I spoke with Sea Ventures and they do have the Halcyon set up. And I spoke with the owner (I think he was the owner) and he said that I could bring something back if I wasn't happy about it. He warned me that he would b*tch about it, but he would take it back (I appreciate honesty). I think I may take them up on their offer because if I do bring it back, they carry the BCDs I would consider as alternatives -- SeaQuest Balance or the Scubapro Knighthawk. All I have to do now is find somewhere I can dive with my 3mm in the winter to try in out! :confused:

My vote would be the Carribean :wink:

Ghostdiver once bubbled...
All I have to do now is find somewhere I can dive with my 3mm in the winter to try in out! :confused:

DaveO once bubbled...
Inquiring minds want to know!

I dragged myself and my hard-earned bonus down to Virginia where a dive shop rented me a backplate and a Zeagle BCD to try. Although I thought at first that the waist band was too high it actually turned out to be fine. The back plate fit me quite well even though most of my height is in my torso. I tried it out with a single tank in a 13 foot pool. Granted its not the same as 100' but I don't dive dry and its January so beggers can't be choosers.

The BP/Wing was a Halcyon 27 with a STA. It was fantastic. Virtually no movement in the water. I was doing all sorts of absurd contortions and I couldn't get it to move. I was very impressed, the propaganda on this board is actually correct (as an aside, the basic Zeagle reg breathes completely dry when inverted in shallow water). I did notice that the fit was off a little bit, we only spent a few minutes getting it set it wasn't perfect --it dug into my lower back a bit. I tightened the straps so they then cut into my shoulders but it didn't hurt my lower back. I think its going to take a lot more work to get it just right. However, the discomfort on land disappeared in the water (even with it not being rigged just right). I definatley liked it more than the Zeagle. The Zeagle was great comparated to the cruddy Stab Jackets I've been renting, but it was not nearly as stable as the backplate.

The upshot is that those who have been telling me that a standard backplate would fit a tall diver with a long torso are correct. It fit just fine.

The bad news for me is that my wife really wants the SeaQuest Libra. I can't blame her because I am considering the Balance as an alternative. Since I would like us to dive similar rigs, I may get the Balance. Alas. If I go to doubles, I will need to buy a new Halcyon wing anyway so the BP and webbing is not that much more.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom