BCD bladder repair possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UAS109

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I'm a newly qualified SSI open water diver (Jan 24) and looking at buying a cheapish first time bcd.
Found a Mares Syncro 840 that the seller has found a leak before I paid. It's where the cumberband meets the jacket and glue hasn't worked.
As the condition the bcd looks excellent, my question to you wealth of info is
Can the tiny hole be repaired in my local di e shop (who are on holiday this week)?

Many thanks as this forum.helped me decide about dive courses etc

Your local dive shop will almost certainly not accept this repair job, as they will not be able to guarantee the repair will sustain use in an actual dive environment. If they were to conduct the repair, they could be held liable should injury or death result from future use of the repaired BCD...therefore it is not in their interest to conduct such repairs.

As the condition the bcd looks excellent, my question...
You have just learned first-hand that just because something "looks excellent", does not mean it actually is.

Kudos to the person selling the BCD for disclosing the leak they found before the financial transaction, but you should graciously thank them for whatever deal they offered you and for being honest about the piece of kit, and then tactfully inform them you are going to look elsewhere for a BCD.

There are plenty of inexpensive BCDs on the market, both used and new, that do not have leaks and are ripe for purchase.

-Z

Your local dive shop will almost certainly not accept this repair job, as they will not be able to guarantee the repair will sustain use in an actual dive environment. If they were to conduct the repair, they could be held liable should injury or death result from future use of the repaired BCD...therefore it is not in their interest to conduct such repairs.

You have just learned first-hand that just because something "looks excellent", does not mean it actually is.

Kudos to the person selling the BCD for disclosing the leak they found before the financial transaction, but you should graciously thank them for whatever deal they offered you and for being honest about the piece of kit, and then tactfully inform them you are going to look elsewhere for a BCD.

There are plenty of inexpensive BCDs on the market, both used and new, that do not have leaks and are ripe for purchase.

-Z
Thanks mate

I'll say thanks but no thanks. Didn't think about the liability of the shop - everyday a school day 👍

Reactions: Zef
@UAS109

If you go the BPW route, the wings have an internal bladder that can be replaced in case of a puncture.

I recall that AP Valves in the UK used to make BCDs years ago with an internal bladder ? Buddy Commando.

Back
Top Bottom