Best way to repair hole in BCD bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most car tires these days don't use inner tubes and are repaired using a plug... Anyway, you have a flat, you pull over. Not the same thing as having a leaking BC, although as someone said earlier, that shouldn't be the end of the world for you.

Here in Argentina, tubeless tires are not repaired with plugs any longer. Nowadays they are repaired with the same patches used for tubes, but installed in the interior. Why, I don't know.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 08:45 PM ----------

Bicycle tire patch didn't work. The adhesive didn't stich to the cordura.
The hole was very little, so I repaired it with cyanoacrylate plus a little piece of cloth. Inflated it and left one day with no leaks.
The whole repair is less than 1/4 inch diameter.
Cyanoacrylate does not dissolve in water.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

Has anyone thought about return to manufacturer as a defect? There is no way stitching should be anywhere near the bladder of a bcd.

I also think the same way, but as mentioned, I'm in Argentina, so, to return it to Divers-Supply would be a nightmare measured in money, time and paperwork.

I also think the same way, but as mentioned, I'm in Argentina, so, to return it to Divers-Supply would be a nightmare measured in money, time and paperwork.
Agreed.

I patched a bcd that lasted about 10 years. Key to success was making sure that the patch was flexible and that the hole was not in a high flex area. My situation involved a 1/2 inch slit in the bcd (not a pin hole) I was able to inert a patch on the inside (due to the lare size of the hole) and then seal it from the outside.

In your case you will have to overcome the internal bladder trying to expand against the stitching that has perforated the bladder. I would make a slighty larger hole, inject lots of glue and then clamp the small area while it cures.hope for the best.

I have used the dry version of Sikaflex for roof jacks, windows and such. That is another great option I had never even considered. The good thing about this, 5200 and a few others is that it makes its own patch. Thanks for posting.

6 days ago I've contacted Divers-Supply customer service via e-mail, just to ask what should I do, without any complain. No answer. Still waiting.

The bike patch approach might not have been far off. I did that sort of a patch to a jacket BC with urchin punctures and it held for years. The key was using good glue (two-part rubber cement, like for inflatable boats, is expensive but worth it; there's also OK 1-part like Bostik). Compress the patch with as much weight as you can bring to bear for a couple of days while it dries. Applying heat initially can help as well, if that's possible. You can google for instructions on surface prep and proper glue application. Less is more when it comes to applying the glue, but the key is getting it to stick to the fabric. If you can contort the BC enough to get the hole near where the inflator hose attaches or a dump valve opening, you might be able to get a patch on the inside and have better luck getting a good stick to the material.

Different people recommend different method and procedure of the fixing of anything. If you want to fix it permanently than you can do it by using 3m 5200 or 7200 sealant.

They make patch kits for wings, I have one that picked up somewhere that I never used. If there is a dive shop close to you that specializes in technical diving they should have one.

Back in the day, I remember reading that cave and wreck divers would wrap the inner bladder with an innertube to give additional protection against abrasion. I have a patch kit that I picked up somewhere along the way that has small nylon patches for repairing the outer bag. Also I am no expert at this but wouldn't you patch the outer bag on the inside when you replace the inner bladder?

After looking at it more last night I decided the inside patch approach would probably be best. Cut up the old bladder to make a couple of circular patches, turned the wing inside out, roughed everything up and cleaned with denatured alcohol, backed the cuts with tape, aquasealed each piece of material, and pressed it all together overnight after 10 minutes of tack-up time.

Now everything looks normal outside, with the edges of the cuts solidly stuck together with the aquaseal, while inside the patch surface is smooth and will protect the inner bladder from anything that catches on the repaired tears in the outer bag. Time will tell if it holds up to a bunch of salt water inflate/deflate cycles, but it looks pretty solid.

After looking at it more last night I decided the inside patch approach would probably be best. Cut up the old bladder to make a couple of circular patches, turned the wing inside out, roughed everything up and cleaned with denatured alcohol, backed the cuts with tape, aquasealed each piece of material, and pressed it all together overnight after 10 minutes of tack-up time.

Now everything looks normal outside, with the edges of the cuts solidly stuck together with the aquaseal, while inside the patch surface is smooth and will protect the inner bladder from anything that catches on the repaired tears in the outer bag. Time will tell if it holds up to a bunch of salt water inflate/deflate cycles, but it looks pretty solid.

This may be of interest to you. Shop Online

Back
Top Bottom