Best way to repair hole in BCD bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, just returned from a 3 days diving.
After rinsing my BCD I inflated it completely to let it dry, and I found a small puncture hole in the bladder in the inner side.
The BCD is a SEA Elite SCOUT.
The hole is just in a place where there is a sewing for the weight pocket.
My question is which sealant or glue should I use to stick a patch.

Last edited:
I think i have to somewhat go along with spd 135. So long as you are not dry suiting it and it is large enough that you do not have to fully inflate it regularly. I assume you have checked on the cost of a new bladder and determined that the savings of a repair is significant. I know my wing bladders are like 60 $. Me i would replace and fix the old for a one day spare if needed.

I assume you have checked on the cost of a new bladder and determined that the savings of a repair is significant. I know my wing bladders are like 60 $. Me i would replace and fix the old for a one day spare if needed.

A Sea Elite Scout is a jacket BC not a wing, it does not have a repairable/replaceable inner bladder. Most jacket BCs do not have separate replaceable bladders.

Go take a look at tear-aid. This stuff works wonders on bladders and other bladder like materials.

Hi, just returned from a 3 days diving.
After rinsing my BCD I inflated it completely to let it dry, and I found a small puncture hole in the bladder in the inner side.
The BCD is a SEA Elite SCOUT.
The hole is just in a place where there is a sewing for the weight pocket.
My question is which sealant or glue should I use to stick a patch.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yesterday I applied a bicycle tire patch. I will inflate it tonight to see if it holds the air.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2013 at 12:01 PM ----------

A Sea Elite Scout is a jacket BC not a wing, it does not have a repairable/replaceable inner bladder. Most jacket BCs do not have separate replaceable bladders.

Thanks for the clarification.

Wow - really? You are going to trust your life to a bicycle tire patch?

I think my wife dove her Infinity about forty thousand miles with a patched tire. I patched a tire on my bike one time about thirty miles out, put seventy or eighty pounds of air in it and made it home fine. I did have a spare inner tube just in case though.

Wow - really? You are going to trust your life to a bicycle tire patch?

If your life is endangered by a wing blow-out, you're doing something wrong. Overweighting without redundancy kills regardless of whether the wing fails at a patch or just outright fails, so don't do it.

As long as we're on the patching topic, any suggestions for patching the outer bag on a Halcyon Evolve? I recently picked one up that had two well-concealed patches on the inner bag due to what looked like two possible pinch-flats/snakebites. They barely cut through the outer bag as well, for a total of four very small, v-shaped cuts.

I've ordered a replacement inner bag because for $88 minus what the seller generously kicked in for patches he didn't know were there, why take a chance. However, the wing will be seeing plenty of overhead rusty metal and I'd like to patch the outer bag with something tough enough to offer the same abrasion/puncture/cut resistance over top of the cuts as found at the rest of the bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom