Would you buy a repaired BCD- Aqualung Ladies Pearl i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-karen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the chance to buy a second hand Aqualung/Seaquest Ladies Pearl i3 BCD which states "BCD developed a small leak on the reverse of the jacket (bad manufacturing not through damage, no tears, leaks through skin of bcd)

Professionally repaired using correct material and Stormsure which is recommended by manufacturer, only used a few times, out of warranty so could not return to supplier, repair looks worse than it appears on picture and does not leak.
I would have no problem using this jacket and is safe for use, bear in mind this is a Buoyancy control device and not a Life jacket as stated on BCD

Would anyone recommend against this? I thought that the air was held in a bladder so am unsure of the viability of it being repaired. I am hoping to get it at a good price, but going on a liveaboard, so do not want to risk anything. Has anyone had any experience of repaired BCD's ?

I wouldn't buy it, but. not because it was repaired. I've had experience with a couple of students who have had this BC, and it's overly bulky, and doesn't stabilize the tank well.

I am not a big fan of the I3 inflation concept. AL was creating an answer that was looking for a question with the I3. ( I love most of what AL does BTW.)

Bladders may be repairable. But I am not sure I would buy someone else's problem.

We had a bcd whose bladder got a 3/4 inch slice in it. The local dive shop would not repair it due to liability issues and indicated the manufacturer (Sherwood) would not repair it either. BUT, the LDS owner would sell me some adhesive and patch material, but would not give any advice on how to make the repair. From this I would want to better understand what "professionally repaired" really means. I was left with the impression that a professional would not patch a bcd bladder. I could be wrong.

I fixed the bcd myself. the patch held for over 15 years with no issues. But the cut happened to be in a low flex area. the patch remained flat and was not folded or stressed.

I have fixed my own BC bladders, and patches have held for a long time. I also do not care for the AL I3 system, more complex than things need to be and somewhat of a maintance issue if not properly cared for. I understand the I3 and the Cressi model are "hot" in the UK and Europe. If you can get the item cheep (no more than 50-75 $ US) might be worth taking a chance, otherwise forget it. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't buy it, but. not because it was repaired. I've had experience with a couple of students who have had this BC, and it's overly bulky, and doesn't stabilize the tank well.

Exactly my thoughts when I read the title of this thread. I wouldn't buy one period.

But on the general topic of whether or not buying a repaired BC is a good idea, I don't see why not as long as the repair was done correctly. In some cases that means replacing a bladder. Interestingly, some manufacturers, well at least dive rite, made some bladders out of material that was difficult to bond to, deliberately discouraging owners from repairing punctures instead of replacing the bladder. This was told to me by dive rite.

"BCD developed a small leak on the reverse of the jacket (bad manufacturing not through damage, no tears, leaks through skin of bcd)"

If it was really due to bad manufacturing I would think Aqualung would replace it as they do have warranty against manufacturing defects (albeit pro-rated). As such, either the owner did not fully investigate their options or it was due to something else like quite old.

Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment

That said IMHO if a repair looks crappy it probably is crappy.

Thank you all so much for your replies.. the advice is appreciated and taken on board but has left me in even more confused :confused:in that I was pretty sold on that BCD - just not sure if the repair was safe!

I went to a dive shop today and tried on the AL Ladies Pearl (not the i3) version in size XS and tbh I have never had a BCD fit me so well.. At 4ft 11 I am quite petite, and it did not feel overly bulky - in fact to the contrary of any I have worn that have always been extremely bulky for me. That said, it was not inflated, but being more of a hybrid it felt far more slimlined.. I can see however that there could be tank stabilising issues. I have never worn a ladies BCD before either and have always been swamped.

Your input on the i3 system is interesting, having never used it, it sounds good on paper, but I can also see that maybe not having an inflator button to hold but might feel a bit like switching from a geared/shift car to an automatic and so take some getting used to ..to feel in control. I guess this is a personal preference and I wont know until I try. I had read that maintenance was easier .... "
The i3 does not utilize pneumatics or hydraulics to activate the Flat E-Valves. Therefore, there is no possibility of failure due to leaks. Using push-rod technology, as found in aircraft, the design remains simple and robust."

I have had more feedback on the repair - it was apparently minute bubbling rather a tear and the guy has said that the patch was done by the dive shop and was much larger than it needed to be and it was tested after use. He has also said it looks worse in the picture than it actually is.. I had read the ad to mean it looked worse than in the picture. Anyway bidding ends tomorrow, as suggested I will set a maximum bid at a sensible level and account for a full service cost as well.

In the UK these BCDa are around $600. I have almost been prepared to buy a new Pearl i3 - so I am hoping I do get this one at a good price - that way if I hate the i3 system and find I personally find it over bulky I won't feel I have wasted my hard earned money at the expense of some other kit.. if I dont win the bid, then I will try out some other ladies bcds.. so any suggestions or advice on other brands would be appreciated greatly.

Is it possible this BCD does not have a separate bladder? I can find no reference to it in the specs?

---------- Post added April 7th, 2013 at 10:14 AM ----------

Well folks - I won the bid - I didn't increase my offer after what you all said, but I got it for about $60 - so I reckon its worth the punt. I'll let you know how I get on and will get the bcd serviced and the repair checked.

Last edited:
I felt I should add to the i3 debate. I own one and can't see where it is any bulkier than any other bcd I have used. Granted their will be extra service required for the I3 system but nothing major couple of screws and the usual seal replacements. Agreed you could argue about do you need it, no you don't. Do I find it easier Yes. Just feels better to me than the other option of holding the hose. Then again i get on ok with the other method you guys use. Both methods do the job. Suppose it is like buying a car automatic or manual gear box. Both work what's your preference.

Back
Top Bottom