BCD and Reg Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark me down as +1 for the BP/W "hype". In my prior diving life I dove a seaquest jacket bcd and my BP/W is far superior.

I was able to order one online for $299. It fits me perfectly due to the adjustable webbing and I find it very easy and comfortable to take on and off.

Oh, and I didn't have to try a bunch on to see if it fits. They pretty much are one size fits all.

Yes, I'm one of those people who has tried a BP/W and does not like it. I don't find them comfortable and regardless of the hype here, wouldn't dive in one if it were given to me for free.

I'm interested in why you don't like a bpw. I'm also new to diving and own an old secondhand vest bcd. Like you have said many here push towards a bpw so I'd like to hear from the other side.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

I'm interested in why you don't like a bpw. I'm also new to diving and own an old secondhand vest bcd. Like you have said many here push towards a bpw so I'd like to hear from the other side.

I'm not the one you asked, but I'll give my opinion anyway.

I never put air in a BC when underwater. I learned to dive before BCs made their appearance and and did not even own one until about three years ago. However, I've started diving places where BCs are required, so I bought a horse collar. I liked it and still have it and dive it. I then tried a wing but, since I only use a BC for convenience for surface flotation, I did not like the way it behaved on the surface. I then bought an Aeris EX100 and it does what I want it to do: It provides comfortable flotation on the surface.

I use the the horse collar for diving my double hose PRAM (and for my doubles) and the jacket for the more modern stuff. Neither are used underwater. But if I were to be forced to chose only one BC to use, I would definitely choose the horse collar.

As for a regulator: If I needed a reg, it would be either an Edge/HOG or a Zeagle.

To, surface flotation is a secondary design consideration. Performance at depth is more important. That said, I don't see any problems with my BP/W. I fill it up with enough air to get my head out of the water and I'm perfectly stable at the surface. The rumors of "face plant" just aren't true at all.

As I was packing for this dive trip we're currently making, I was thinking how nice it was to be able to take my BC apart into component pieces and pack them neatly. That's one of the advantages of a backplate system, for people who travel a lot.

With respect to regulators . . . a lot of how they breathe depends on how they are tuned. Rental regulators usually aren't tuned very fine, in order to avoid freeflows. Sometimes the very same regulator can be much nicer to use if the cracking pressure is set a little lower. I don't think there are really any BAD regulators out there, but if you are diving cold water, you will probably want one that has an environmental seal, to reduce the chances of freezing.

I dont like the way the straps or hard plate feel on my body. I also don't like the feeling of a cummerbund or waist strap, so found that annoying. I also hate weight belts, and when I was told I needed a crotch strap, it was over. It wasnt easy to get in and out of either, so with all the little annoyances, I decided the BP/w configuration wasn't for me.

And lest anyone think I didn't have the right rig, it was fitted on me by a tech diver friend, and absolutely fit the way it should.

I love being a minimalist, but simply prefer the comfort and convenience of my weight integrated "corset and wing" that I currently dive. No hard plate, no cummerbund, and shoulder straps I don't even have to tighten down if I don't want to.

Its all a matter of trying different options and figuring out what YOU want.

To, surface flotation is a secondary design consideration. Performance at depth is more important. That said, I don't see any problems with my BP/W. I fill it up with enough air to get my head out of the water and I'm perfectly stable at the surface. The rumors of "face plant" just aren't true at all.

Surface flotation is the only consideration for me. I never even touch the inflator button underwater.

As for the face plant issue on the surface, I did, indeed, find it to be a problem. I dived a wing for awhile, didn't like it and sold it.

I use a bp/w but started in a jacket bc and suggest the same for you. If you like your rental then buy it. Think about it, if it will hold up to rental it will hold up to you.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I would try it before you buy it:wink:. Does your LDS have a pool? BP/W is a minimalist way to go, less restrictive. But you may be better off getting something like a ScubaPro or maybe a SeaQuest Pro QD.. They may be bigger than a BP/W but pockets are already there...a little more user friendly. But try things out and remember they dont always fit the same in the water as they do out and sometimes both are important..like if you are going to walk with gear to your dive site etc.

I dive a Halcyon BP/W and love it. Having said that I still sometimes take my old Seaquest Balance on trips instead when weight is an issue. A couple years ago I even had to dive a day in an old rental BC of some type that had broken straps and it worked out okay once underwater. I like gear to be just how I like it but in the end it all pretty much works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom