BC vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Help...I plan on getting wet and sold my old BC. I only want to buy USA made BC any suggestions ? Like small package, dove for many years without all the gear they now sell you. Appreciate any comments. Started diving in 1966.

If you are used to the plastic back-pack and no BC or wing then I'd suggest looking at just adding a small wing to your plastic backpack if you want to retain what you like and are used to.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

VDH has a small wing but they are usually sold out. I started diving shortly after you did and after having tried a bunch of different BCs and BP/Ws I'm ending up right back where I started with a small wing but I'm going to try adding some lead shot to the plastic backpack when I get home. I figure around 8 pounds should do it plus two pockets on the waist strap (attached to the backpack too) that are dumpable. I'm currently using a SS backplate and a snorkel vest that I added an oral/power inflator and dump valve. I like the weight distribution of the backplate but prefer the simpler backpack straps plus it's more compact for travel. The biggest issue I've run into (besides the funny looks and questions) is that the modern wet suits compress more than our old 1/4" Farmer Johns so that makes the BC more of a necessity. I'm also going to see if I can make my own small wing that might be more impressive-looking than my snorkel vest.

Was that an anti-California diver bit of attempted humor? Otherwise, I don't see where that comment came from...
I initially took the comment at face value and thought it might be an attempt at humor. To suggest that the founder of Force Fins buy pink, abominable, Seawing Novas, is an insult, regardless of what you think about Force Fins.

I grew up in Southern California and was certified by LA County in 1970. I exclusively dived in SoCal for 10 years. I have no "anti-California" sentiments. On the other hand, aren't you a bit touchy?

I initially took the comment at face value and thought it might be an attempt at humor. To suggest that the founder of Force Fins buy pink, abominable, Seawing Novas, is an insult, regardless of what you think about Force Fins.

I grew up in Southern California and was certified by LA County in 1970. I exclusively dived in SoCal for 10 years. I have no "anti-California" sentiments. On the other hand, aren't you a bit touchy?

I didn't realize that the recipient was the founder of Force Fins. Now I can sorta grasp the meaning of the comment. It's not so much "touchy" with me as it is the occasional inability to comprehend the NT thought processes. :)

Ok, Thank you. It is late here In Santa Barbara. Great questions..and will answer.. Best, Bob Evans

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom