BC training recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd Powell would be my first choice

Ocean Quest is definitely my recommendation for a shop in Vancouver. I did my DSAT Tech 40-50 with Nunes, who is a great and thorough instructor. He is also a certified TDI instructor if I recall correctly. If you're looking to go the GUE route, IDC is the only shop in Vancouver who teaches it.

Thanks..I do know John Nunes, have had a few discussions with him over the last couple years..I am close to making up my mind, buying some dubs soon and then into training

Before spending all your $$ on equipment it is best to make a decision about training. It will save you $$$ once you actually know what you will need to have in order to successfully complete the program. Otherwise you may have to purchase a piece of equipment again or have purchased something you didn't need in the first place.

Remember, if team diving is what you want to do (ie. GUE or UTD) technical training you will want to have similar tank sizes (for ease of gas panning - sucks when 4 divers show up with dissimilar tanks and you have to calculate the minimum gas and dive time based on he who has the smallest tanks or biggest surface consumption rate :)) and equipment as your teammates (and I don't mean same brand I mean similar configuration).
There is a growing GUE community here in the lower mainland and down the Pacific coast. Exciting things are happening all the time with this group. I can not speak for UTD but I have hear or seen no activity from them in over a year. Most of the UTD guys I know have jumped into rebreathers now and no longer dive open circuit or very often. But for either you need to have the basics mastered before they allow you to move on to the technical training parts.

The overriding factor is WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO.

Regardless of the training agency you pick I am certain that they all train as team divers. You will need to have a like minded buddy to dive technically with. Nowhere have you mentioned that you have a partner to dive with and that you are from Salmon Arm. Who else is diving technically locally? Through what agency? Speak to them. Unless you plan on traveling weekly or bi-weekly to train and practice skills to the coast or wherever else to practice and maintain your skills you are wasting your money. It's not like riding a bike. If you don't practice your skills underwater you lose them or you develop bad habits that can lead to accidents.

Solo diving technically or for that matter recreational diving is strictly forbidden in the team diving groups as you are reliant on your partner for back-up gas and your gas planning and back up reserves are based on this. They need to be trained in the same emergency procedures as you.

Whatever you decide on remember, nothing under water is worth dying for. Try to have fun and enjoy the experience. Practice, Practice, Practice. Find other like minded divers and work with them. Be safe.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

Thanks..I do know John Nunes, have had a few discussions with him over the last couple years..I am close to making up my mind, buying some dubs soon and then into training

If Nunes will take you on as a student I would highly recommend seeking tuition, especially if you are interested in wreck diving. He has an extraordinary attention to detail. He also did my DSAT Tec 40-50.

Local divers have an immense respect for Greg at Ocean Quest dive center although I have not had the privilege of taking a course with him.

Hey Mustang. I am a guy who always dives with a buddy. I have never dove solo, and do not really plan on it. My immediate goal is to get into some serious deep wreck diving, in the 100 to 200 ' range. I will probably add some cave diving at some point too. I am a fairly new transplant to BC, having been in Ontario for many years, I did have an instructor there that I would be using, but BC is a long ways from the Great Lakes, so I am feeling around. I have already started sourcing tanks, and I have a few people looking into the same ones as me.

Kody

John has been a FB bud of mine for a while, he has been extremely helpful answering any question i have had, and is a friend to many of my dive buddies from back in Ont. I am doing research, if I can find the best instructor possible, I would rather do that. I would not get a tattoo from the first artist I met, kind of the same for diving for me. Greg has been in contact with me as well, but it has been the same training agency ( PADI), I am just looking at my options for training, I currently hold a few certs from PADI and SSI, just looking at others

Coolio man I hear ya on searching for the best instructor possible... There are many instructors with many different approaches and opinions ... if you want to go by experience you could always consider hiring Mark Ellyatt from Mark Ellyatt  - Inspired Training - Technical Diving - Ocean Gladiator or send him a message on facebook ... his trimix course changed my life! I believe he can certify under any agency but I mean come on the guy has dove to 1000ft who cares about agency :))

Kody

Hi Dr. Dog. Feel free to send me an email if you want additional information about the type of tech training we offer. Thanks! Greg

gregm@diveoceanquest.com

OMFG The Sama of diving in BC has spoken *bows*

We have been blessed with his presence on Scuba Board.

If you're looking for good instructors, I'd opt for Steve and Shirley White at Nanaimo Dive Outfitters. They run a full TDI Tech program that includes Advanced Trimix, Advanced Wreck and RB programs. It's good to get training from people who can take you to the next level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom