BC or BCD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie:
So whats the difference between a BC/BCD and a Wing ?

A wing is just a bag that carries air. A BC/BCD is something that you wear that includes an air bladder (a.k.a wing, though the term 'wing' is generally used to describe an air bladder that is removable).

First picture = BCD (note that the air bladder is a net part of the rig)

Second picture = wing

Attachments

• BCD.jpg
    BCD.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 44
  • wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 45
Funny, to me, a BC is an umbrella term, and completely non-specific. It describes something that every diver must do, that is, compensate for weight/wetsuit compression/suit squeeze.

So any device, be it wing, integrated blader, or horse collar, that you use to maintain nuetral bouyancy, falls under the description of a Bouyancy Compensating Device.

Everything else is just types of BCDs

I'm with you, Dash . . .

the K

I guess it means different things to different people...

To me they're the same, except:

Pre 1985 - It was a BC....tank/reg/bc....BC covered everything back to horsecollar that was not "just" a backpack.

Post 1985 - BCD....folks started calling them BCD....I guess it was about this time they had the backpacks permanently attached to them...before it was really more a jacket with a backpack on it and you could separate them....

Dates may be a little off...that was a long time ago...but something like that as I remember it...

Nope. BC is generic, BCD is agency specific. Has nothing to do with time.

sphawley:
Okay well i know this sounds stupid but what is the difference between a BC and a BCD or is there no difference. If there is what are they? Also what are the pros and cons?

one in the same......depends on when you were certified, back in the 80's it was BC only.....people always try to fancy things up....like tank= cylinder & air = gas........

Ah ... but no one will match NASDS when the renamed every piece of gear that a diver could carry as part of a "system", just so that their graduates would be unable to communicate with normal divers. Anyone remember what they called a weightbelt?

Thalassamania:
Ah ... but no one will match NASDS when the renamed every piece of gear that a diver could carry as part of a "system", just so that their graduates would be unable to communicate with normal divers. Anyone remember what they called a weightbelt?

Isn't that part of the "buoyancy system" a subset of the "total diving system." I was certed through the shop owned by the guy who started NASDS. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom