BC or BCD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shawley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay well i know this sounds stupid but what is the difference between a BC and a BCD or is there no difference. If there is what are they? Also what are the pros and cons?

Bouyancy Compensator

or

Bouyancy Compensator Device

Same thing.

BC is a bouyancy compensator, a BCD is a bouyancy compensator device, PadI added the "D" to everything I believe, maybe not but that is what I remember. I call it a BC if it is a jacket or a vest or a back inflate integrated assembly. I call it a BP/wing if it is modular and can be removed from the plate or seperated, two seperate pieces but obviously it serves the same function.

N

I think I just explained it but not very well, a BP/wing is a BC that is modular in that the wing can be seperated from the backplate (BP) and exchanged for another, it can carry doubles or a single etc and typically is not weight integrated and the diver uses a standard weight belt. Then there are the hybrids like the Transpac (and similar) that incorporate some of the advantages of a vest/back inflate BC (if padding and cumberbunds and chest straps and weight integration are an advantage) with some of the advantages of a BP/wing (modular, can excahnge wings, can fit doubles or singles) but in so doing, at least to me miss both marks--and that is an opinion, not a fact, to each their own.

Has anyone noticed that the PadI propaganda magazine Dive Training has taken to referring to a SCUBA, (self contained undewater breathing apparratus) as a "Scuba Unit." Maybe it is just me but the "device" always seemed redundant when applied to a SPG or BC which are by definition devices and now "unit" does so as well. SCUBA can be both adjective and noun, maybe I am wrong here but something does not sound right. I don't think it is a unit, I think it is an apparatus and thus can stand alone (?). N

A BP/W puts a steel plate (weight) over your natural BC (your lungs) which is the best place to carry weight, IMO. You can also use a weighted STA (single tank adapter) and forego the weight belt altogether, an option I like.

Nemrod:

Has anyone noticed that the PadI propaganda magazine Dive Training has taken to referring to a SCUBA, (self contained undewater breathing apparratus) as a "Scuba Unit." Maybe it is just me but the "device" always seemed redundant when applied to a SPG or BC which are by definition devices and now "unit" does so as well. SCUBA can be both adjective and noun, maybe I am wrong here but something does not sound right. I don't think it is a unit, I think it is an apparatus and thus can stand alone (?). N

SSI calls everything a "Diving System." Newspeak.

Hillmorton Scubie:
So whats the difference between a BC/BCD and a Wing ?

Well, a BC/BCD will attach to your body, a wing won't.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom