BC Inflator versus traditional octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what type of tech diving, the AP Inspiration rebreathers have the "buddy air" combo inflator (their version of an Air2) and those have done some serious diving to 400-500 ft so I would consider that 'tech'. Same for the Dive Optima rebreather, I believe they include their version of the Air2 on that. Obviously tech is a whole other game and you have the stage bottles too, bailout tanks, etc. but "Air2's" are used in some circles.

Personally if I'm diving a single tank with a good buddy, I'd use a standard octo on a necklace. If you use a pony though for whatever reason, I love the Air2 because that way I can put the pony regulator on the necklace and use that for immediate emergencies and still keep everything clean without an extra confusing 2nd stage. In that situation than, the Air2 would be a backup for a backup in a worst case scenario. For donating than, you would still do the standard DIR type OOA rescue, donate your main reg, go to the pony on the necklace, and get to the surface. Also great for solo diving when you want to use a pony.

Regarding the ease of use, maybe the other models are hard to use but the Atomic SS1 is great IMHO! It has two huge buttons for the inflate/deflate which I personally think are easier in cold water with thick gloves than a standard inflator.

New diver, only 40 logged dives

Almost all dives have been done using my Octo/Inflator combo ( Oceanic XS Air 2)

Before each dive I have ran a quick OOA drill with my diving buddy to ensure we understand and know how to use the gear. I have even practiced full dives breathing out of the octo/inflator combo to get used to it.

In recreational dives the dive is over as soon as a problem arrises. I had my Octo/infator inspected by a Oceanic Certified tech and treat it like my main regulator when I clean it. Compared to the normal Octo I would add these 2 points

Durring the dive, one less hose is nice, but makes no real difference if your octo is secured correctly to your bcd.
Durring a OOA, as long as both divers know what to expect and know how to use the gear it should work fine, only thing is the diver wearing the Air 2 will have a shorter hose ( Less head movement) and should use shoulder dumps instead of the buttons for simplicity sake

Ill keep using my Air 2 as long as my diving partner is comfortable with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom