BC for UW photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy once bubbled...
What is your recommendation on a BC for uw photographer? A jacket type or back inflated type? Why?

Thank you for your suggestion.

It all depends on what you're comfortable in and what allows you to stay in trim. If you can't stay trimmed and not pitch or roll all over the place, it'll be very hard to take shots. If you're comfortable and trimmed in your jacket, than that's what you use. If the jacket doesn't work well for you, consider a back inflate. Back-inflate (BC or wing) does have a tendency to keep you more level, so it might be more helpful than a jacket.

-Roman.

P.S. Woah! #500!!!

I agree with Notabob...it depends on what you are comfortable with.

Personally I use a back plate with wing. It gives me a truly custom fit which results in better trim and control over my bouyancy.

And now, for something completely different...

I was under the assumption that a jacket-type BCD would be beneficial to photographers because it' easier to maintain different positions instead of being "helped" into a facedown position as back-inflates tend to do...

Check out the Cathy Church website. There is a piece on there that recommends using a jacket BC for photography because it allows the diver to get into any position.

A few years ago I was on a boat with Pete Romano, director of underwater photogrphy for the movie Abyss. He was filming using a Scubapro Classic and some black rubber full foot fins.

Back inflate BC's tend to promote correct trim. Because that is their natural orientation any other position becomes harder to achieve. I use trim weights with a back inflate Transpac II. It stays flat in the water with no effort, but getting into some offbeat angle is not so easy. PS, I am not an underwater photographer, but may try it this year.

MercutioATC once bubbled...
And now, for something completely different...

I was under the assumption that a jacket-type BCD would be beneficial to photographers because it' easier to maintain different positions instead of being "helped" into a facedown position as back-inflates tend to do...

Not all back inflate BC's "help" you into a face down position. And few of them will if you don't overinflate and possible use trim weights. Each style has it's own set of pro's and con's. This is one of those age old discussions that I don't care to resurrect here.

As I mentioned previously, the only "correct" BC is the one that suits you best, that you are most comfortable in.

Thanks.

I am currently using a Seaquest Pro QD. My opinion is that it is quite bulky, both on land and underwater. So I am considering if there is a better choice.

Thanks for all your information and keep sharing.

I started with a Seaquest Quick Draw. The bulkiness of jacket style BC's is usually the reason folks change. A back inflate is the natural progression of things. Whether you go to something like a Zeagle Ranger, Dive Rite Transpak, Oceanic(?) Black Diamond or a minimal back plate and wing depends on you. The best advice anyone can give you is to try them out for yourself. That may mean borrowing from friends, renting, etc. And don't let anyone tell you that back inflate BC's are for technical diving only! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom