Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say TG-6 if you are interested in macro and are willing to invest in at least one strobe. If you want wide angle with strobes, look for a used Sony RX100 series kit. If you are not going to bother with strobes, then consider a phone housing. Most phones today will beat the pants off a TG in image quality if neither is using strobes. Weefine Smart Housing with pressure sensor also doubles as a dive computer, and it has vacuum test system to prevent leaks.

No strobes on this shot just hand held torch. TG4. Do you think a phone can do this type of macro shot?

TG4 harlequin shrimp.jpg

That is a beautiful picture. I think it really comes down to what the photographer likes to take pics of. I have a TG6/housing and don't like the photos at all with it...like at all...why? because I don't ever take macro photos. I have a SeaLife with my Iphone 11 and absolutely LOVE the pics I take with it...I much prefer wide angle pictures of larger fish...I dove once with my TG6 and now it sits on the boat for other pictures
Turtle.jpg

Which begs the question, what strobe do you guys use? Is the onboard flash usable with either housing for stills?

Which begs the question, what strobe do you guys use? Is the onboard flash usable with either housing for stills?
Onboard flash works in the Olympus PT059 housing for the TG6. I bought the TG6 for the mainly to be able to take Macro shots as well as more distance shots.. I also keep my old Go Pro mounted in the dry dock.
I use two Big Blue VL4200P video lights. Strobes cannot be used for video.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

I like that set up, just stumped trying to find flood lamps that don't cost more than the camera & housing.

Did you build the plexiglass cradle?

I like that set up, just stumped trying to find flood lamps that don't cost more than the camera & housing.
A friend of mine who makes camera housings in Taiwan for a German company made the trays and handles. We had a number of divers who wanted them so we made around 50 of them I think. Given away quite a few. It's the same plastic used for storing foods so has to meet strict EU standards and be non toxic. Originally used them for my go pro. Very light flexible and strong. Easy to pack away for traveling. Glide thru the water and as has a flat bottom can be set down to take videos.

Having two handles makes stability good. This is the first video I took with my TG6. Had to swim along at 20m depth following this turtle.
PS you can turn the sound down so as to not hear the zoom function, another feature a go pro does not have.

there is a thread on sb called cheap Chinese video lights somewhere can do a search

This is one of the cheap Chinese video lights. I have 2 of these. There have been reports of failures of the buttons that causes flooding, but I have not experienced that yet. I figure that at this price point, I can afford to replace a light once a year. Button top batteries are required to be able to make contact with the electrode surface and they have to be high CDR to supply the amperage needed for the bright white light.

A strobe is the one place I didn't cheap out on, I really wanted to move my photos to the next level. I'm still learning, but I went with the Inon Z330 Type 2. (my affilaite link at backscatter: Inon Z330 Underwater Strobe Type 2). I actually bought the strobe before becoming an affiliate :) I currently only use one strobe, but will get another Inon later in the year.
Longsnout Seahorse (2).jpeg

*** UPDATE ***

So I just pulled the trigger on the TG-6, Ikelite housing, and two 15000 lumen Big Blue lights. Just wanted to give some feedback and also thank everyone that contributed to the decision process. Now I just need to go find some local bass and catfish to to practice on preping for Curacao this summer.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom