BC for reef, possible current, high use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the market for a BC for a Peace Corps service in Fiji for two years. I need a BC that will perform well in a reef habitat, with encounters with currents, and daily use. Specifically, a BC that will not catch the current too easily and not be too bulky, as I wil be doing some research on the reef and will need to use my hands fairly often. The BC also has to be very reliable and sturdy, because I will be living in a very remote area for an extended period of time and will not have easy access to and LDS. The BCs I am currently considering are the Zeagle Brigade, specific to www.scubatoys.com, and the Aeris Atmos XT. I like the Atmos, because the idea of being uncontrollably horizontal in the water does not appeal to me, and it looks very streamlined, also it had been around for a while, and Aeris had made some improvements on it throughout the years to improve it's reliability and function. The Zeagle looks like it might catch the current like a parachute, but I am reading that it is very reliable and very durable, which I have to say again is very important. I can't have anything malfunction while I am there, diving essentially daily. If anyone can offer some assistance in my decision, and any advice, I would really appreciate it. I am open to consider any other BCs, as long as they do not exceed $400 or so. Thanks.

Whatever you decide on a few spare parts should keep your BC functioning. A spare inflator mechanism, a couple of puncture repair kits, and an exhaust valve o-ring will get you through most failures.

As far as a back inflate BC putting you "uncontrollably horizontal", it's a metter of learning to properly distribute weight. With any quality BC you should be able to hover in any orientation underwater.On the surface it is simply learning to not overinflate.

Try a Zeagle - Ranger or Stiletto

Lets see, daily use, not alot of things to break- I'll say it how about a BP and W. Nothing to break- and definately easy to travel with and will not catch the current.

As a Brigade user I think it would be ideal for the situation you describe. As you know I'm sure the Brigade is a Ranger harness with the smaller bungeed wing. The harness is very durable so being in a remote situation with it should not be a problem. The smaller wing makes it lighter and easier to pack for travel, but retains the durability you require. I have never felt the Brigade was a factor with causing drag / catching current. I do not have personal experience with the Aeris Atmos XT so I can't give you any comparitive information, but I just don't think you could go wrong with the Brigade.

Best of luck in the Peace Corps.

Two problems I see with the Brigade. One is it's a Ranger harness so while really comfortable(I have one) it's neither the smallest or the lightest out there. Also it uses the bladder from the Escape which is more of a recreational product than one that can stand up to a lot of abuse.

If you're wantng for a Zeagle product, what about the Stiletto, it's made to travel and is of tougher material. It'll be just over $415 plus shipping since Scubatoys will pricematch Leisurepro.

From Zeagle's website:

The Escape is similar in features to Zeagle's popular Ranger BC, but it's constructed of lighter weight cordura instead of ballistic nylon
The Stiletto's extra durable reinforced 1000 denier nylon bladder material, gives an extra level of protection against abrasion or punctures in close environments like the edge of a coral reef
Given that you are going to have to have it serviced occasionally, it might be a good idea to find out what mfr's the nearest local LDS in Fiji can work on and get parts for before you make any decision.

Hold up... you get to dive for Peace Corps? what exactly is your project? That is so awesome.

I would suggest a backplate and wing (BP/W). It's arguably the most durable type of BCD out there, the most streamlimed and it's really comfortable when ajusted proprely. There are plenty of manufacturers out there, but I prefer Deep Sea Supply's products, 445$ can get you a SS backplate with a 20, 30 or 40lbs wing and a hogarthian harness. You can visit them here : http://www.deepseasupply.com/

I have the XT and love it very comfortable and easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom