BC and Wetsuit for taller woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanzeKuhne

Reaction score
Currently located in Cambridge, as far from the se
Howdy all...
Going shopping next week at the dive show in Birmingham and am updating my kit- started off with a wetsuit which ultimately has stretched to ridiculous proportions around my midriff and the neck, meaning I was freezing most of the time when doing my DM course in 28-30 deg hot water in the summer, I kid you not!!
THEN I got fooled by the local dive centre here to buy a BC which was XS :11:, and then turned out only to support 10 l tank as well. Biggest mistake of my life, methinks..

Am currently considering buying a Waterproof wetsuit (www.waterproof.se) as they seem to be a lot more suited for waists etc. My only worry is that I'm 183 cm (6ft) and therefore may have to opt for a men's wetsuit again?

In terms of BC, am considering the Oceanic Probe (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_probe.html) as I'm wanting to get into tech diving soon too, and I want a BC which'll last!!

Anyone got any thoughts on the two products mentioned here? Anyone got any ideas about other options I could take? I'm not very well-endowed in the boob department, but I have hips and a waist hence wanting BC with integrated weights...

Cheers all!

Wetsuit, Certianly sounds like a try before you buy situation as most really are. If you can get a good fit off the rack then good for you. Beyond that fit is everythng in wetsuits so if the fit does not happen go custom. LiquidFit is frequently mentioned in the Exposure Protection forum, do a search, I believe they export. You probably have folks there too.

BC, Also a try before you buy deal. I'm amazed nobody recomended a Back Plate & Wing in the last 2 days. It sounds like you're heading that way with your diving. You can read endlessly in the BC forum.

Pete

Try a Henderson wetsuit. I was amazed that I found a female Henderson that fit all over, including length. (I am also 6' with a 37" inseam). The male suits do leave something to be desired at times.

The backplate and wing would be a good start for a BC. I couldn't remember what it was called. I have a Libra. While it is very comfortable and I do generally like it, I do find it rides up some at times.

Many divers I know that have a hard time finding a proper fitting wetsuit ended up with a Henderson Hyperstretch. These suits are extremely forgiving on the fit since they are incredibly stretchy. Often times you can get a Hyperstretch suit that is a size or two smaller than normal and it will fit snug without being constricting. Henderson also offers custom fitting and tailor options for their suits.

The downside is that compared to a traditional neoprene 7mm suit, the Hyperstrech is not as warm. I have worn both and don't find the difference to be too noticeable.

On the BC side I would recommend trying a Dive Rite TransPac Harness & Wing. I looked at the Oceanic Probe as my next BC, but ultimately ended up with a Transpac w/Rec Wing & TransWeight System (Integrated Weights). I wanted a BC that could be used for both Recreational and Technical diving, as I plan to progress into that realm soon. The TransPac offers good suitability for both IMO. It is also highly adjustable making it a good choice if you have a hard time finding well fitting gear.

Links

http://www.hendersonusa.com/product_hyperstretch.html
http://www.dive-rite.com/Products/productslist.aspx?SubCategoryID=38&CategoryID=3

Try looking at Scuba Toys at the Bare westsuites. They have a good selection of sizes for men and women. I had a ton of problems trying to find a wetsuite that would fit and was comfortable. I did try the womens Henderson but there is the cost of that one. Bare is a reasonable cost and mine fits like a glove.

I dive with a Bare wetsuit and find the fit pretty darned good but I am not quite as tall as you (I'm 5'9") While they do have the tall sizes, the tallest they go is 5'10". Mine is rated to 5'8" and I can get away with it but I wouldn't want to stretch two inches out of it instead of only 1

Yes they are pricey but I do love my Bare though. I am not as tall but I am top heavy and have a had time finding a fit in the wetsuite. I had to go to the mens xl short to get the fit like a glove feel. I had a Penncile and I would bring to whole ocean back to the boat with me. Was not a good fit at all. And CMT489, I do have a wonderful dive buddy (my spouse) Thanks though. If you are going this way e-mail and we can go diving, know some freinds here that are always looking for a buddy.

savannahbell:
And CMT489, I do have a wonderful dive buddy (my spouse) Thanks though. If you are going this way e-mail and we can go diving, know some freinds here that are always looking for a buddy.

LOL! You must be speaking of my signature line :D !

If I am ever in Georgia, I will definitely look you up for diving!

SanzeKuhne:
In terms of BC, am considering the Oceanic Probe (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_probe.html) as I'm wanting to get into tech diving soon too, and I want a BC which'll last!!

Anyone got any thoughts on the two products mentioned here? Anyone got any ideas about other options I could take? I'm not very well-endowed in the boob department, but I have hips and a waist hence wanting BC with integrated weights...

Cheers all!

If you plan to get into tech diving, buy a Backplate and Wing. You'll most likely end up there anyway, so save yourself the cost. You'll never outgrow it, and it will fit like it was made for you. They are popular with tech divers for a good reason.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom