Bauer Utilus U1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello!

Can someone explain the purpose of the bump in middle of this tube?
What is it in there? See attached picture.
This is the short tube between second stage safety valve and third stage intake.

Note regarding cleaning process:
I have been using Mr Muscle Owen cleaner. It is foam spray and all you have to do is spray parts, wait some hours and then wipe parts clean. After ultrasonic cleaner bath, parts are like new!
(Not for aluminium parts).

Picture album (link above) is updated with pictures from this weekend work.

//Micke

Attachments

• bauer31.jpg
    bauer31.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 431
The "bump" is a mesh filter. Blow compressed air through it and reinstall. The blowby tube is necessary to protect the first stage through injection of an oil mist. Go ahead and rig one up. The focal point inside the separator chamber is a plug. The cylinder was manufactured by spinning in an electric furnace. Don't worry so much.

Somebody that can tell me how the piston rings for first and second stages should be aligned? There is no piston ring guide pins.
I assume it is not preferred to have all piston ring gaps in the same direction?

Bauer had Anderol 755 previously on their oil approved list.
My local store suggests that I should use syntetic Anderol 555.
What is the difference between 555 and 755? One ISO100, the other ISO150.
Any comments in using Anderol 555 oil in this old, but all cleaned Bauer Utilus?
(Another oil I can find is the Shell Corena AP100. But preffered is to use Anderol 555.)
Are there better choices?

More pictures of the rebuild can be found here:
Renoveringsprojekt/Rebuild - Bauer Utilus U1

Built new second stage head:
Bauer second stage head

Pescador775, Many thanks for your answers! I worry to much! :)

//Micke

Any one that can help me wit a manual for U1?
I'm rebulding one my self.

I have connected oil pipline to 2'nd stage for better lubrication of the piston.

Oil preassure on my U1 is about 0,9bar when hot and about 1,2 bar when cold.
Use Corrona P150 oil.

The Utilus with which I am familiar is a downsized Capitano meaning that the U shares the same design as the C but has a smaller first and third stage. The Capitano has an oil pump and regulator which is normally set to 50 bar oil pressure. I would surmise that the Utilus has the same specification. There is a port near the regulator from which the pressure is measured. The Capitano does have oil injection for the second stage so this causes me to wonder what is the Utilus 1 inasmuch as you found it necessary to add an oil line to the second stage.

Do you have any picture of your U1?
Is it a U1?
My U1 does already have an oil pipe to second stage.
My U1 has 50bar oil pressure as the Capitano!

Are u sure about 1 bar oil pressure?

//Micke

VBK,
Interesting project you have. Have you decided on a filter system for the unit? I have a filter system that will work very well and is very price competitive. Several individuals have used them on their compressors and they deliver grade "E" breathing air when used in a two unit configuration. You can see one on my web site <sheldensportinggoods.com> near the bottom of the site. IF I can help, just let me know. \
frogman62
Jim Shelden

Hello - looks as tho you've got most of your questions answered pretty well. If you have any remaining....try contacting our technical department 5000psi.com (or 330bar.com). We have a lot of expertise with Bauer, even the older ones such as your Utilus. We manufacture many of the parts to fit it, as well as filter systems.

Do you have any picture of your U1?
Is it a U1?
My U1 does already have an oil pipe to second stage.
My U1 has 50bar oil pressure as the Capitano!

Are u sure about 1 bar oil pressure?

//Micke

Hi
thanks for answer everybody.
My U1 did not have oil pipe to second stage, it is a 1969 mod.
But my U1-H have one (1977 mod).
I measured the preasure on the oilpipe that goes up to third stage, and yes I'm sure about the preasure.
The port on the pump I still have to test.

Took some pictures with my mobile phone so they are not the best. Can take some other later.

I'm waiting for some new valves before it functional again.

Attachments

• DSC00185.jpg
    DSC00185.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 272

Back
Top Bottom