Bauer trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

Last nite while filling tanks for the weekend my commpressor went out on low oil pressure. The gauge still read 350-400 for oil pressure. I got the book out and tried to recalibrate the switch following directions and it seemed to work. 15 minutes into resuming filling commpressor oil gauge hit zero, I hit the kill switch.

I suspect a oil regulator or switch problem as the commpressor never made any noise or indicated it was not happy in any respect, temp,vibration ect.

The unit is a Bauer k14
manufactured 1985
1650 hours

Does anyone have advice or diagnostic tree to address the situation?
A question I had when ressetting switch was what is the normal operating oil pressure? The unit allways ran before at 400 425, so I reset it to run at 425 via the regulator.

I am off to work now but would love to talk this out over the weekend and get it straightened up. A good supplier for these parts mentioned would also be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Eric

Let me start with obvious things to eliminate.

Did the tubing to either the gauge or pressure switch break?

Did you check the drive belt for the cam-shaft?

Did you notice if the oil sight-glass either emptied or had air bubbles in it when the machine was running? Was there serious fluctuation in gauge pressure?

I'm assuming the oil level was fine and there are no obvious leaks.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Oil level was fine.

Tubing to the gauge is fine.

Gauge is new and full of oil.

Oil pressure was allways steady without fluctuation.

Airpressure also remained steadyand normal.

Have not checked the belt to camshaft but will have dive buddy go look.

Thank you
Eric

Ok, what about the sight-glass? Also, what final pressure are you running the compressor up to? Normally, for 3600 psi final, I would set the oil pressure around 850 psi, if it's going up to 4500 psi, I would set it between 900 and 950. I'm assuming this is a Mod 6, K14? If oil pressure is too low, the final discharge air pressure can "blow back", causing loss of oil pressure. If the oil pressure switch is adjusted correctly, the machine should shut off instantly if the oil pressure drops below the set point. You shouldn't manually have to turn the compressor off. When I would set an oil pressure switch, I would set it at 300 psi. Since the N/O terminals are used on the oil switch, there has to be a TDR or "Momentary Switch" to by-pass the pressure switch at start-up.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanx for the help so far, I do not where the sight glass is?
The final run up pressure is 3700 to allow for cooling, so I will reset the system at around 850. I set it yesterday to around 450, obviously to low, and try again.
Thank you
Eric

The sight-glass is on the oil regulator. If someone repainted the compressor, it is possible that it was painted over. If this link works, you should be able to see where it is located on your machine.

New Parts - Hi-Psi Compressor Parts

Craig

Hi Craig,

I found the sight glass and observed just barely a hint of bubble at shutdown. We followed the instructions and bled the oil pump. We have the oil pressure set to 850, air cutoff set at 3700, and the unit continues to shut down even when the gauge shows 850 for oil pressure. Since the switch and the gauge are plumbed in common with a T, I am deducing that we have a failed or faulty switch.
The test will be to disconect the electrical from the switch and run the unit while monitoring the oil gauge like a hawk. Oil pressure good, switch bad.

Do you sell those?
I was also told by O.C.Diver after I had bought filters that I should have purchased them from you, after this consultation that is a definate.
Eric

We sell switches, but they may not be an exact replacement for the one you have. I'd need to see what your switch looks like to tell you for certain. did you mess with the switch adjustment at all? Also, do you have a TDR or "momentary switch" to handle the by-pass during start-up?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Yes we have a TDR, and we did "mess" with the switch as part of the diagnostic tree in the manual to set the oil pressure regulator. Adjusting that tdr was a step in the tree. We have got the air pressure set where we are comfortable, and the oil pressure is holding at 850. We will probably conduct the switch test next week as weekends = diving. If that test bears out the root of the problem I will take a pic and post or send. We are not really concerned with oem, just parts that work.

You have made a contact for life via this consult. If you need any consult in well drilling or the application of geo thermal heating or cooling feel free to ask away and I wil exert my full area of expertise.
Eric

Back
Top Bottom