Bauer Oceanus Service/Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GStevens1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an almost new, Bauer Oceanus 220V electric compressor. The manufacture date was: 9/2012.

I am having a hard time locating an official service manual for this compressor, which discusses basic service items such as but not limited to:

1) Maintenance.

2) Repairs.

3) Part diagram(s) / Part numbers.

4) Filter operations (when to change, possible aftermarket equivalent filter cartridges, cheaper but good filters, etc...)

5) Where to order factory parts.

Sorry for this question. I am brand new at Scuba Compressors. I haven't gotten anywhere talking to numerous Bauer dealers in my area (CA, U.S.A) - I asked about installing an automated condensate drain, and was promised rock bottom cut-throat pricing to install their yacht package which cost: $10,500 + tax directly from SF Bauer, although they would only install the yacht package on a newly purchased compressor (so yacht package + compressor = $16,500+).
I tried other Bauer dealerships that were 350-400 miles away, and I offered to drive there, but they laughed at me until they soiled themselves, and subsequently hung up the phone (I wish I was joking). I find having children, raising a family, and starting any type of service business from scratch, to be a walk thru central park compared to obtaining information from Bauer about their compressors (knowledge, parts, maintenance, repairs, how-to's, etc...)

Yes, I have the basic owner's manual that talks about the location of the power plug, and how to flip the power switch from OFF to ON... I'm looking for far more specific information, like, "To avoid ever having to bring your compressor to Bauer for service, follow these procedures..." and other topics such as: "This is the procedure of how to install an automated condensate drain, without spending $10,500 on the "yacht package" upgrade..." Or another good topic would be, "How to avoid blowing yourself up and the compressor simultaneously..."

Perhaps I need to drive this compressor from California over to some of the more advanced users on this forum... the TBone1004 user, in particular, is a walking encyclopedia... along with iain/hsm, and others. I would not mind paying for their Bauer service manuals.

Thanks!
GStevens1

Hubsi in Germany offered repair/rebuild/maintainance courses on compressors that the students brought along, untill he retired. Timm Bauer, who bought the company from Hubsi has kept the courses up.
I believe that Bauer service centers in the USA offer similar training, or if they aren't should be doing.
The manual that you got with the Oceanus shows every part installed in the compressor with part numbers to help in reordering, and by marking the parts that need to be replaced with an A, B, or C indicate at what service interval, replacement is necessary.
You'll probably want help from somebody who has done it before when you start installing an autodrain/auto-off system. You should get in touch with Bauer USA in Norfolk Va 757-855-6006 and order the kit from them. They should be able to tell you who to go to for help in your neck of the woods.

If you're not really good friends with one of your local dive stores, don't expect them to be really friendy and helpfull since helping you will cut into their revenues. There is no way to politely ask a business owner to cut his own throat.

I'm not a Bauer wizard unfortunately.

That said, compressors are pretty basic machines and there isn't a lot of scary stuff that can happen to them.
Google-fu is strong this morning
Manual
http://www.beta.jfdefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bauer-Oceanus-2009-Manual.pdf
https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictures/compressors/bauer/junior_ii_english.pdf

On the automatic drains. They are pretty self explanatory in how to install them once you've seen them in person. @rcontrera would be a good resource as the ones he sells for the Coltri pumps should be compatible with the Bauer without buying the rest of the stuff in the yachting package.

One thing to keep in mind is that with "Accessories" like the drains, or filters, etc. they don't have to be specific to the compressor that you have. Most of these things are pretty universal so long as they are still sized properly, and the Oceanus is a baby pump so you won't have to worry about that.

I'm not a Bauer wizard unfortunately.

That said, compressors are pretty basic machines and there isn't a lot of scary stuff that can happen to them.
Google-fu is strong this morning
Manual
http://www.beta.jfdefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Bauer-Oceanus-2009-Manual.pdf
https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictures/compressors/bauer/junior_ii_english.pdf

On the automatic drains. They are pretty self explanatory in how to install them once you've seen them in person. @rcontrera would be a good resource as the ones he sells for the Coltri pumps should be compatible with the Bauer without buying the rest of the stuff in the yachting package.

One thing to keep in mind is that with "Accessories" like the drains, or filters, etc. they don't have to be specific to the compressor that you have. Most of these things are pretty universal so long as they are still sized properly, and the Oceanus is a baby pump so you won't have to worry about that.
TBone! Thank you!!

Hubsi in Germany offered repair/rebuild/maintainance courses on compressors that the students brought along, untill he retired. Timm Bauer, who bought the company from Hubsi has kept the courses up.
I believe that Bauer service centers in the USA offer similar training, or if they aren't should be doing.
The manual that you got with the Oceanus shows every part installed in the compressor with part numbers to help in reordering, and by marking the parts that need to be replaced with an A, B, or C indicate at what service interval, replacement is necessary.
You'll probably want help from somebody who has done it before when you start installing an autodrain/auto-off system. You should get in touch with Bauer USA in Norfolk Va 757-855-6006 and order the kit from them. They should be able to tell you who to go to for help in your neck of the woods.

If you're not really good friends with one of your local dive stores, don't expect them to be really friendy and helpfull since helping you will cut into their revenues. There is no way to politely ask a business owner to cut his own throat.
Makes sense. Thank you very much for the information.

I've been using Bauer compressors for over 30 years, and have rebuilt several of them but I never knew about all the bauer documents in Ray's link.
Thanks Ray, that will help out a lot since I am one of those people who ended up with the wrong tools back when Bauer changed the valve patterns on the Junior II.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom