Bauer mini verticus K120 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TI1976

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My compressor is popping on the safety valve on the intermediate filter (2-3 stage). I thought is was the valves, and i changed the suction and discharge valves on the 3-stage. But no luck, the safety valve is still popping when the pressure is reach about 260 bar, and the 3 stage fall out of step. The compressor is delivering the correct amount of air until it popps.
On my last filling ( a 12L 230bar tank), i took some IR-temperature (Celcius) measurement on the valve heads :
2-stage 3-stage
87c 57c 50bar
114c 64c 100bar
120c 64c 125bar
122c 64c 150bar
124c 65c 175bar
127c 67c 200bar
130c 70c 225bar
This seems normal for me, maybe a little high on the 2 stage ?

I have no start thinking on the 3 stage sleeve and piston, could this been worn out, and start "sticking" when it reach high temperature and the 2-stage is building up the pressure in the filter ? The oil pressure is also in my mind (at the moment there is no gauge to measure the pressure, but i have order this). Could the pressure become to low, and the temperature rise too much in the sleeve, that this will cause "sticking" the piston ?

I`m still investigate on this.
I have now mounted the gauges on the intermediate filter and the oil pressure ( can`t understand why oil pressure gauge is not on the standard list). On the intermediate filter i measured 42 bar at 230 bar final pressure, and 45 bar at 300 bar final pressure, as i can see the 2-stage is delivering fine.
The oil pressure is more strange, it starts fine but drop after some minutes when the pressure(+250 bar) and heat increase. I found this earlier thread Bauer K15 oil pressure dropping [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network and think i have a similar case. I clean and inspected the oil-regulator but all seen fine, i also turned the steal-ball 180 degree when i mounted it back. The result when i start the compressor is the same, dropping oil-pressure (below 45bar) after a while. Hopefully it is a broken o-ring (lower) on piston sleeve that cause the falling oil-pressure and the 3-piston get hot and start to lock up, and the 2-stage increase the pressure in intermediate filter. Next week i will inspect the 3-stage, is there anyone who have a pictures of a broken/over heated floating piston ?

I`m still investigate on this.
I have now mounted the gauges on the intermediate filter and the oil pressure ( can`t understand why oil pressure gauge is not on the standard list). On the intermediate filter i measured 42 bar at 230 bar final pressure, and 45 bar at 300 bar final pressure, as i can see the 2-stage is delivering fine.
The oil pressure is more strange, it starts fine but drop after some minutes when the pressure(+250 bar) and heat increase. I found this earlier thread Bauer K15 oil pressure dropping [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network and think i have a similar case. I clean and inspected the oil-regulator but all seen fine, i also turned the steal-ball 180 degree when i mounted it back. The result when i start the compressor is the same, dropping oil-pressure (below 45bar) after a while. Hopefully it is a broken o-ring (lower) on piston sleeve that cause the falling oil-pressure and the 3-piston get hot and start to lock up, and the 2-stage increase the pressure in intermediate filter. Next week i will inspect the 3-stage, is there anyone who have a pictures of a broken/over heated floating piston ?

Sounds like you have bigger problems with this compressor than you think. Check blow down chambers you may have on the unit for blockage. I have the largest supply of used Bauer parts in Canada 35 years worth if you need anything give me send me a PM.

A little update. My 3-stage floating piston was broken and caused the problems when sticking. This has no been replaced, and the compressor is running fine. But offcourse i have another isue, the intermediate pressure between 2 - 3 stage is only 34 bar, the manual says 45-47 bar. Is this a sign off worn piston rings in 2 stage or worn pressure vale in 2-stage ?

What is the 3rd stage pressure when you are seeing 2nd at 34 bar and what is the 1st stage pressure?

I did not monitor the 1-stage pressure. The 2-stage pressure was stable on a 15l 232bar filling from 0-232 bar.

That should not be. Pressure in each stage builds as final pressure builds. First stage may be so little as to be negligable on the gauge, but second stage is easily seen on the gauge.

Well, my backpressure in the filter cartridges is 180bar, so i thought the pressure in the stages should be stable at the most of the 232bar filling. My manual says 6-6,5 bar in 1st and 45-47 bar in 2nd. but not on witch final pressure.
I have no open the the 2nd stage, and the valveplates look`d ready for replacement, new valves is on the way.

Back
Top Bottom