Bauer Junior II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The filter stack in my main compressor stays pressurized, even if it doesn't run for weeks.
It depends on the quality of the PMV and one-way valve. I've tested several PMVs now and there's certainly a big difference: you get what you pay for.

My compressor filter stack has held pressure for the last 10 months. Leaking parts should be replaced. Holding pressure isn't voodoo or hocus pocus. It is just how it should be. Until it holds pressure, it isn't doing its job of protecting the filter and it isn't working correctly. It can be fixed, just like anything. Accepting non-working components is a choice, not a given.

On many small compressors the final water condenser and the filter stack are one unit. So when you blow out the water you also depressurize the filter. Because depressurizing the filter is inevitable, they rarely have a check valve upstream of the final condenser/filter so they leak back into the third stage even if you dont drain them.

A voice of reason and thankfully just in time before I got rid of all my broken Bauer crap

full.jpg

Although this one currently leaks

Dude it's looking like this at the moment so a few years to go

full.jpg

but I'm happy with that

full.jpg

Have a look at this schematic, it's from this website:
View attachment 627028
The compressed air comes from the last stage on the compressor and enters the aftercooler. This is a long airline behind the fan of the compressor. Next it goes through a NRV (non-return valve), through a filter and finally a PMV (pressure maintenance valve).
The NRV prevents air to flow back to the compressor when the condensate is drained.
The PMV prevents air to flow towards the filling hose when the pressure is too low (<140bar).

Note that in this picture, one should place the NRV after the last separator if this separator is drained every 15 minutes and stays open when the compressor has stopped.

The Air Filter thus stays pressurized all the time and cannot exchange air with the environment.
If you place the filter material (molecular sieve) out in the open air, it would slowly saturate with the moisture that is naturally present in air. This is also the reason why new filters are vacuum sealed.

So:
- leave the filter pressurized
- completely drain the fill whip and completely drain all condensate collectors

Interesting, are you saying the junior 2 has a NRV?

Interesting, are you saying the junior 2 has a NRV?
No I don't. I explained the general principle of successful filtration.

A Bauer Junior is designed to fill one or two tanks at a time, and needs to cool down afterwards. It's not meant to run continuously, but has the advantage that's it's small, portable and runs easily on a single phase electrical connection.

No I don't. I explained the general principle of successful filtration.

A Bauer Junior is designed to fill one or two tanks at a time, and needs to cool down afterwards. It's not meant to run continuously, but has the advantage that's it's small, portable and runs easily on a single phase electrical connection.
Thanks for clarifying that, I have an Oceanus that loses pressure through the intake when it isn’t running. It seems like a common problem for the juniors, the Oceanus is basically the same machine.

Thanks for clarifying that, I have an Oceanus that loses pressure through the intake when it isn’t running. It seems like a common problem for the juniors, the Oceanus is basically the same machine.
I dont know with absolute sureity, but I dont think any Bauer using a P0 chamber has a check valves before them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom