Bauer Junior II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dalpe933

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
alright, situation; I just ( few months ago ) bought a Bauer Junior ii compressor, overall love it. only draw back filter system.. life of the filter is 12h. is their a smart way to upgrade tower while keeping the unit mobile or the juice isn't worth the squeeze..

also pre-filter what are you guys using.

thanks for the input.

There are several alternatives. There are slightly larger towers you can install that will extend the vertical dimension of the compressor outside its existing cube by a few inches. I have a Lawrence Factor tower that has a water separator and a cartridge filter that I'm planning on listing for sale here in the next week or two. It's just under 24" tall, and the cartridges I use with it have a rated life of 13,000 cf which is about 4x the lifespan of the P0 that came with your Bauer. Cartridge cost is similar.

There are filtration-only towers (no water separator) that are the same size that will give you a rated lifespan of about 20,000 cf. With these you could retain your existing P0 filter and use it as a water separator only with no filter element.

depends on why it's only rated at 12h. If it's due to moisture, then you need a big assed water trap and ideally a coalescer after it. That will knock out nearly all the water and oil *.003ppm if it's a good one* and that will leave the actual filter cartridge doing very little. I use J-series from Parker where the coalescing elements are about $150 to replace. The nice thing with these is with a differential pressure gauge on the coalescer you only replace it when it gets clogged which is many many thousands of cubic ft. They are designed to be an annual replacement item on industrial scaled compressors, so on a tiny 4cfm pump with intermittent duty, you'd probably replace it every 5-10 years or longer.
Your current filter cartridge goes downstream from that and then only needs to get rid of the small trace elements of oil, convert CO to CO2, and potentially scrub CO2.
Now, these filters aren't cheap at about $1k each, but if you get already have a dedicated water separator *you should*, then you may not need that, and can just add a single coalescer. If you want to go whole hog, you can go water separator, pair of coalescers, and an adsorber. All of those will give you cheaper long term filtration and the only thing in the cartridge is the CO catalyst and potentially activated carbon

The built in filter is your prefilter! lol
Personally I change those elements at 10hrs to be on the safe side. If you wanted to extend the effective pumping life you could add a second 16" tower which will last about 4x longer but I would still use the primary tower as a prefilter and change it every 10-12hrs

Back
Top Bottom