Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike-G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
Have not posted here in ages - kinda busy at work. Anyway, I want to build a new battery canister for my homemade video lights and wanted to get thoughts on NiCd vs. NiMH vs. SLA. I know there has been some discussion on this in the past but looking for fresh discussion - sorry for possible repeat topic. Also, the SLA cansiter I built 5 years ago was designed / built with 12v's worth of batteries but I've read about overdriving and that with time batteries will not achieve their actual full 1.2 volt (individual cell) charge. Any advice / opinion on design size of canister - 12v or 13.2v and your reasons for this?

Thanks,
Mike G.

You could use the same type canister I am using for my 50W Halogen dive lite. I am using 10000ma NiMH D cell batteries 10 of them to be exact. I found with the NiMH batteries they don't see to have memory and can take over charging without issue. As for overdriving I haven't done it. Really don't see the need to either. I get great burn time from my light now as is and it bright enough for now.. I have some pictures posted of my light and canister under the DIY canister light thread.. in more then one of the DIY light threads actually...... I purchased my batteries on E-bay as that is where I found the best deal.

Thanks for the feedback Firediver. What kind of charger do you use? Is your battery canister & light setup homemade or purchased?

Mike G

My Cannister is home made..I got the charger from

http://www.all-battery.com/ it's a 0.9ma-1.9ma charger(could be amp.) can't remember exactly but it works.. :p I also use the 10 10000ma D-cell NiMH batteries... I paid $75.00 + shipping for $100 for the batteries... they were the most expensive part.

Thanks for the link Firediver. I just ordered two 3500 mah batteries and a charger for about $100. More than SLA but they are much lighter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom