Batteries - Ammonite vs LightMonkey vs Santi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the market for a battery for a heated vest. I know nothing about these and find the online information not very easily comparable.

How do you guys choose?
  1. Is that better to plug both the torch and heated stuff on a big battery or keep them separate?
  2. How do you guys choose the size, especially in regards to flight restrictions
  3. A buddy of mine bought a santi vest and battery, now he finds that even on the lowest setting the vest is way too hot, are different batteries having different selection of power settings like a controller?
  4. I am hesitating between light monkey and ammonite, I guess that’s a long shot but anyone has both and can compare?

In the market for a battery for a heated vest. I know nothing about these and find the online information not very easily comparable.

How do you guys choose?
  1. Is that better to plug both the torch and heated stuff on a big battery or keep them separate?
  2. How do you guys choose the size, especially in regards to flight restrictions
  3. A buddy of mine bought a santi vest and battery, now he finds that even on the lowest setting the vest is way too hot, are different batteries having different selection of power settings like a controller?
  4. I am hesitating between light monkey and ammonite, I guess that’s a long shot but anyone has both and can compare?

PDF attached in third thread were my thoughts at the time.

TL:DR
I like separate
I like max I can fly with, though I explain the IATA nuance in the pdf
Some controllers have smaller increments and lower low %. If the lowest setting is too hot...don't run heat? Always easier to turn it off than up.

UWLD runs a higher battery pack voltage and throttles it down to hold output to the end. As the battery discharges and the voltage drops, the controller can still maintain a steady 12V output.

As for your problem of low power being too much power, that's a new one to me. I would likely just use what I have and cycle it on and off as needed. That would take more digging than I have time for at the moment. As in what power levels does each controller have? Is low 20% power, or 50% power?

Following this thread as I was also looking at maybe a heated vest and an Ammonite 24Ah for this winter, and thinking about going with he corresponding light as well (Solaris)...

It says your located in the UK. I would check out Gralmarine (Mission to get in the US I might be one of only a handful of people that uses these in the US) Easy to get in the UK and a couple dealers there for after sales support. I am a really really big fan of there batteries and lights. After trying pretty much every light on the market and braking pretty much every light on the market I now only own an UWLD and Gralmarine. If you need it Gralmarine also makes some pretty massive batteries to run heating for extended periods of time plus running high output lights. I actually don't know of anyone else making batteries as big as them.

They have a nice 12v controller or just direct e/o connection cables and you can order pretty much order any length cable you want to fit your needs exactly. Also all there batteries have 2 output ports so you can run your light and heating. Or just heating, or just a light, or 2 lights if you want to get fancy. Plus you can choose how you want the ports orientated, I went with one on the top like a normal battery output and the other out 90* like a sidemount output, great for when I use it cave diving. Tons of different light heads available as well. I mostly like these lights and batteries for there durability. Grarlmarine is actually the only light I have not broken, yes I even broke an UWLD LD40 head but Bobby was amazing to deal with and warrantied it for me right away. however I am starting to have some strange issues with the Piezo button.

Ammonite products are good, customer service and dealer selection is disaster. They work with liars, cheaters and thieves.
I mostly like the LED One MK2 I have. Keep meaning to post a review. Might do that today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom