Bats & Cats or Cano Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a general rule, it will be far too rough in February to get to the Bat Islands, it’s usually a summer only trip.The Catalinas are nice and there are quite a few dive sites to choose from. February is usually ok, but there will be times when it is quite rough, if you have a weak stomach be prepared! My wife got certified in Ocotal and the first dives we did together were on the Catalinas, on the return trip to Ocotal we had 15’ seas!

Isla Del Cano is a much more reliable destination, we have been there several times in January through February and seas have always been much smaller than in Guanacaste. The number of dive sites is very limited. The closest approach is from Drake Bay, we really like Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp. Cano is 10 miles off the coast so it’s not a really short boat trip but there’s usually dolphins riding the bow wave of the boat and plenty of birds.

As someone else said, Costa Rica is not a place to do a dedicated dive trip, the diving is interesting with lots of fish, huge schools of big jacks and massive schools of many other fish on nearly every dive you’ll see White Tips and lots of rays. If you’re looking for 100’ visibility, you’ll be sadly disappointed. There are many other fun things to do though. One of the drawbacks of Cano in February is often a very strong thermocline and poor visibility below it. We’ve been to Costa Rica 14 times and can point you toward some fun stuff if you’re interested.

Have been to Cano a couple years ago. I find Costa Rica a diverse vacation spot that you can dive, but you can also go with non divers. The Cano dive was a great day of diving. I'd just say it was fun with lots of rays, sharks, moray's, etc. It's not a destination I'd go to for days and days of diving, but it was a great day of diving to mix in with the rest of the week of activities. I used Mad About diving in Uvita. Very satisfied.
We have used Mad About Diving a couple of times, but it’s like 40 miles to Cano from there! It’s a much shorter boat ride from Drake Bay and Drake Bay is a really interesting area.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out next time. It really wasn't that long of a boat ride.

Edit: Now I see. I was coming from Quepos and that is a much longer drive, first thing in the morning to get there for the morning push off.

Edit 2: Oh the Doles Orchard guy! I've heard of you from Mitch (the entertainer). I'm just around the corner in E. Baldwin. Small world. :)

Interesting. I'll have to check that out next time. It really wasn't that long of a boat ride.

Edit: Now I see. I was coming from Quepos and that is a much longer drive, first thing in the morning to get there for the morning push off.

Edit 2: Oh the Doles Orchard guy! I've heard of you from Mitch (the entertainer). I'm just around the corner in E. Baldwin. Small world. :)
It is a small world, I met Mitch at Maine Divers when he was living in Limington. George the, the owner asked if we knew each other and Mitch turned around and introduced himself as Mitch, the smiling bald guy!

LoL! That's where I met Mitch as well. George did my AOW. I had one OW at Johnson's, did one lake dive. Next dive was with George on the Vandy in Key West. George taught me ALOT in a week. Sad they are no longer around, the good ol' days.

Back
Top Bottom