Bats & Cats or Cano Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSmurf55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I will be in Costa Rica in mid-February. We have each had about 35 dives plus we are going to be diving the Vandenberg and Spiegel Grove in the Florida Keys in December (we have had about 6 boat dives already). Any recommendations between the two locations? I have been reading about them, and they all seem amazing! I am most concerned about currents as I have never dove with a strong current but I don't really want that to stop me if there is an amazing dive somewhere.

We have stayed and dived in the Guanacaste area twice.

Both times we did both Bats and Cats.

On the Bats tours, each time we went out to The Big Scare to look for Bull Sharks. First time, we were rewarded with a pregnant female, two adolescents and two juveniles. Second time, nada.

50638430973_6e08658e31_b.jpg
BullShark-2_zpsf823a4f9 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

The next dive both times was Black Rock, which is a pinnacle. Each time we dropped out of the boat, and circled the pinnacle, going from deep (+/- 130 fsw) for shallow as we circled. This dive is absolutely amazing. You experience multiple schools of fish as you go around the pinnacle, along with other creatures who stay closer to the rock itself.

We also did Catalina Island both times. Of the two, it is the shorter boat ride, however from an experience standpoint, for us, it was the less impressive of the two sites (Bats versus Cats).

Have not done Cano, so can't help you there.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-23_15-24-12.png
    upload_2020-11-23_15-24-12.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for all the info Jim!! I hope whichever dive we pick, we get to see some awesome things!!

Twenty-some years ago, my first ocean dives were in Costa Rica at the Bats and Cats. I had only dived in springs and quarries before then. I was blown away by the huge number of seahorses in the turtle grass, the massive schools of jacks and bait fish, and the uncountable number of rays I saw. I didn't understand why some of the divers were disappointed in the visibility and lack of color. I went back with a friends about five years ago. My friend was a brand new diver. Her reaction was the same as mine the first time. I was still blown away by the amount of fish life, but after many years of diving then I understood the comments about the poor vis and lack of color. The dense plankton in the water brings the fish life but reduces the vis.

Thanks gwklein. I haven't been on a ton of dives but the ones I have been on had pretty good visibility. I am curious to see what I think. My main concern is the current. I have been in places with a mild current but nothing too crazy.

Are you more concerned with the type of currents that you may experience on the Spiegel Grove and the Vandenberg or the type of currents you many encounter on rocky reefs in Costa Rica? The way you dive in different types currents depends on the entry and exit methods as well as the nature of the structures you are diving. Your dive plan is made based upon the how to best use the current to your advantage or to cause the least disruption to your planned dive goal.

Are you more concerned with the type of currents that you may experience on the Spiegel Grove and the Vandenberg or the type of currents you many encounter on rocky reefs in Costa Rica? The way you dive in different types currents depends on the entry and exit methods as well as the nature of the structures you are diving. Your dive plan is made based upon the how to best use the current to your advantage or to cause the least disruption to your planned dive goal.

We are having guides with us for the 2 Florida Key trips so I am not too concerned there. I read that the current can be pretty strong for both of the Costa Rica dives so that is what makes me nervous. I hope that I will feel better after doing the two FL dives though.

We are having guides with us for the 2 Florida Key trips so I am not too concerned there. I read that the current can be pretty strong for both of the Costa Rica dives so that is what makes me nervous. I hope that I will feel better after doing the two FL dives though.

If you are that nervous, my initial impression would be to defer at this time. When we did them the first time in 2005, I had been diving since 1985, my wife since 2001. Our second trip there was in 2014.

The trip out to the Bats is at least an hour and a half (on a fast boat - first time we did it, it was just us, the dive guide, and the boat captain, in a six pack), maybe longer. You are going to be quite a ways from a chamber should you have an issue.

The Cats are closer in, however my recollection of both sites was lower visibility than one might prefer, and either surface current (at the Big Scare) or surge around the pinnacles or islands (both Black Rock and the Cats).

The closer in diving in the Guanacaste area is very good, however, so if you are set on Costa Rica, I wouldn't simply cancel due to the trophy dives potentially being beyond your comfort levels.

Rocket Frogs have RHIBs that can get there and back faster than the competition, but it's still a bit of a drive. It also means that, for Bats especially, they need to get enough divers to pay for the gas: back when we were there they ran pretty much a walk-in operation, so whether the boat goes to one of those on a given day can be a bit of an if.

Have been to Cano a couple years ago. I find Costa Rica a diverse vacation spot that you can dive, but you can also go with non divers. The Cano dive was a great day of diving. I'd just say it was fun with lots of rays, sharks, moray's, etc. It's not a destination I'd go to for days and days of diving, but it was a great day of diving to mix in with the rest of the week of activities. I used Mad About diving in Uvita. Very satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom