Basking shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okey, posting that second picture is pretty poor taste.... poor thing...

It would be nice to think that the basking sharks are making a come back in Monterey

Yes, poor thing. But it would be awesome to see some more of them in the area, just in the water, not out on the beach.

Okey, posting that second picture is pretty poor taste.... poor thing...

It would be nice to think that the basking sharks are making a come back in Monterey

Picture is courtesy of yahoo and not intended to reflect my attitude towards sea life.

The animal probably beached itself and was found as a dead carcass. My intention is for scale, these beautiful gentle giants are very large.

That is why I placed the pic that I found...

Sorry if it offended any board members...

Mike G....

Last edited:
Mike,
Sorry if I was harsh. I should have worded it better next time.... It was a good picture to show the scale... just sad that people would sit on the body and pose for pictures with smiles on their faces...

I wasn't offended at all Mike...I knew what your intention was.

It is sad to see people sitting on it smiling like that. :shakehead:

This is exciting stuff. I'd admit to being a bit hesitant to jump in the water with something that big (and with a mouth that big, filter feeder or not).

The pic of the beached shark is indeed very sad. I'm sitting here thinking that moments after the photographer tripped the shutter, accumulated gas formed by bacteria within the carcass causes it to explode violently, showering all three people, their camera, their little red tray, and their top-down convertible parked 10 feet away, with putrefying fish guts.

Hey, that was cathartic!

I wasn't offended at all Mike...I knew what your intention was.

It is sad to see people sitting on it smiling like that. :shakehead:

She said it so much better

Kenn, you totally reminded me of the old exploding whale story that made the rounds 15 years or so ago.

The Infamous Exploding Whale - Video

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: Omg.

"The blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds!" :rofl3:

That video reminded me about something like this happening in the middle of a city too...they were carting a dead whale down the street when it spontaneously exploded in downtown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom