Basic reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slydoh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know the best reg discussion has been done again and again but I have some basic reg questions.

It's my birthday this weekend and my father would like to buy me a new reg. We like to treat each other so $500 is a good price range.

So, to the questions.

Environmentally sealed..? This seems like a good idea to me. Wear and contaminants are probably the main causes of reg failure, so preventing contaminants from entering the first stage seems good. Right? I'm not a cold water diver so according to what I've read I don't need an environmentally sealed reg. But…

Brand specific questions.

Noisy..? The scubapro whistle? I though scubapro would be a good choice since they can be serviced/repaired at more locations than many other regs. But diving is noisy enough so I don’t want a noisy reg. Can any comment on the scubapro noise level and may a general idea of how noisy your regs are?

Comfort. My jaw gets tired after my first dive. A lot of it is that my reg is always being pulled away from my mouth (I like to look around). I’d like to get a swivel option for the second stage.

Bubble dispersion is another comfort issue. Some of the small regs would seem to bubble right in your face. I’ve had a few rental regs that caused my mask to leak because they didn’t properly disperse the bubbles. I know the atomics have a special exhaust tree but what about others?

Breathing wet. Due to my preference for boat dives I often end up in a group. Many times to see the cool subject of the dive masters attention I have to assume odd positions like head down. So I’d like a “dry” reg.

Weight of the second stage would be the last issue.

I’ve mainly been looking at the following regs. Any comments on these based on the above questions would be appreciated.

Oceanic Delta 4 FDX 10
Atomics B2 or Z2
Scubapro MK25/S600 or X6**
Aqualung Legend LX
Zeagle flathead

I’m a fairly new diver with 23 dives so I don’t think the subtle breathing differences in the various models would be noticeable to me. And I think they are all so good that performance shouldn’t be an issue for me. So I’m basing my decision on the above questions/criteria.

I’ve been diving a Dacor Viper. I’ve found it to be a perfectly OK reg. I don’t think it’s the easiest breathing reg but I’ve never had a problem even at 80+ feet. And the side exhaust is wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

One more thing.

Most if not all of my dives will be in the 30-100' range. I know many of the high performance regs are designed to deliver a good air flow at depth. I've read that this can lead to less performance at shallower depths. So, I don't need a reg that breathes well at 200'. I need one that breathes well in my depth range.

Thanks again.

Simon

I have a MK25/s600 and haven't noticed any noise from it. It breathes well and even though it is a small second stage, I haven't noticed any bubble interference. If your jaw is getting tired, no matter what reg set you buy, get a SeaCure mouthpiece. The SeaCure is much firmer than the standard mouthpieces, so you use a lot less effort to keep it correctly positioned in your mouth, and it is much more comfortable. As far as which reg set to get, if cold water is not an issue, then any of the ones listed will be great. Along with the SP reg set listed above, I also have an Apeks ATX200, which I like better than the SP. You didn't list Apeks, but they are also great regs. An ATX50 would compete with any of the ones you listed. Just look at them all and pick the one you like the best, you really can't lose. Now if you were getting into some tech diving situations, the answer might be different.

I can't speak about the other brands, but the Scubapro and Atomic regs will breathe very nicely at any depth you can dive to, whether it's 20 feet or 200'.

They're all adjustable, so buy it from a shop you like, and you can bring it back and have them adjust it if it's not to your liking.

I've got an Atomic M1 and Z1, and it's just as easy to breathe at 10 feet and 130' as it is on the surface (without a reg).

If you live in an area that gets winter (snow, ice, etc.) you might want to consider one of the environmentally sealed regs (not sure what the current model replacement for the M1 is).

Also, I don't know what they're selling for right now, but if price becomes an issue, you would be better off with a used first-class reg that you have serviced than a new cheap one. They're all used once you use them anyway, and a rebuild would put it back in new operating condition.

Terry

slydoh:
One more thing.

Most if not all of my dives will be in the 30-100' range. I know many of the high performance regs are designed to deliver a good air flow at depth. I've read that this can lead to less performance at shallower depths. So, I don't need a reg that breathes well at 200'. I need one that breathes well in my depth range.

Thanks again.

Simon

I would definitely recommend the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX-10. It has all of the features that you listed in your post. It also was the Scuba Lab Tester's Choice regulator, in the June 2005 reviews. I bought two of them, this last July. (ScubaToys lists them for $450.) My son and I have each logged 12 fresh water dives on them (in the 30-100 range) and the performance has been excellent. However, we did have to tune them in (via the user adjustable inhalation & venturi settings) to avoid occasional surface level, in-water, loose free-flow situations. When adjusted properly, they work like a charm.

I suggest you add the Scubapro Mk25/G250HP to your list. It is noticably larger than the S600 but weight diff is indescernable and bubble dispersion will be a bit better and it will be a little easier on the budget. Whistling from older Scubapro balanced piston 1st was an occasional problem cured by lubing the HP o-ring and repositioning (flipping) the piston spring. I do not believe the problem is common with the Mk25.

You have a good list to choose from. Pretty hard to go wrong.

SStrecker:
I would definitely recommend the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX-10. It has all of the features that you listed in your post. It also was the Scuba Lab Tester's Choice regulator, in the June 2005 reviews. I bought two of them, this last July. (ScubaToys lists them for $450.) My son and I have each logged 12 fresh water dives on them (in the 30-100 range) and the performance has been excellent. However, we did have to tune them in (via the user adjustable inhalation & venturi settings) to avoid occasional surface level, in-water, loose free-flow situations. When adjusted properly, they work like a charm.

I second that opinion. I had problems with jaw fatigue, too, and the swivel on the delta IV made a huge difference. I have used it in 55 degree salt water to 60' with no problems and no change in breathing. I also agree that the the adjustable inhalation needs to be set to a less sensitive setting on the surface, even with the venturi switch set to "no freeflow". The environmentally sealed 1st stage was a big selling point, too. I think that most of the ones on your list have that standard or as an option, though.

They're all good regs, I'm just cheerleading for my own. :05:

Oh, and I wish my dad would buy me a nice reg. You're very lucky!

Of the regs you mentioned, I would pick the Zeagle Flathead. It has a far LONGER and HEALTHEIR track record than any of the others. Obviously, you should see if you could try them out BEFORE you buy!

You might consider Apeks as well. Very good regs in your price range. I have an Atomic B1/T2 and love it but it does breathe a little wet in weird positions like upside down. The Apeks does not as least from my experience. Scuba Pro makes great regs as well. As far as the sealing the reg. That's really not a issue unless you do cold water diving. Annual service should detect and clean any contaminates you may encounter in your diving. Alot more diaphram regs comes sealed from the factory these days. The Zeagle Flatheads are also very good. The Legend is very similar to the Apeks and has a very good reputation as well. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the regs you have chosen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom