Basic Equipment Purchase for Certification Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snoballz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have/had hobbies that require some pricey equipment. I'm usually sure footed with my purchases in terms of price/benefit (as well as the some bling factor) but scuba is a new sport for me, which I'm getting my feet wet.

I'm taking my open water certification course at Pan Aqua Diving in NYC and need some basic stuff. I bought a mask, snorkel, fins, and booties for the course and would like to know if my purchase is adequate for the time being or are others I should consider?

As background, I'm male, 38, a strong swimmer and did a resort dive recently in the Grand Cayman, which obviously led me in this position.

So here is what I got:

Mask: Scuba Pro Crystal Vu w/o purge
Fins: Apollo Bio-fin pro
Snorkel: Scuba Pro Nexus
Boots: Scuba Pro Deck Sole boot 5mm

As stated above, I signed up for the course at Pan Aqua so I made all of the purchases there. However, in terms of prices, I just came across (from this board) Leisure Pro and looks like I could have saved some coin. I live equidistant to both Pan Aqua and Leisure Pro. I guess I should have done some homework beforehand but sort of rushed for time since the course begins this week.

TIA
:14:

I think you overbought. You could have saved a LOT of money and still had perfectly adequate gear.

I think you overbought. You could have saved a LOT of money and still had perfectly adequate gear.

Do you mean I overbought in terms of quality of the equipment? reason i ask is that the stuff that I did buy are mandatory for the course (which is a mask, snorkel, fins, and boots).

Lastly, as for the color of the mask, is it purely aesthetic or should I look into lets say yellow for visibility? I bought a black framed mask but able to exchange if needed.

Thanks again.

No, what you got is very good gear, but ScubaPro is (in my experience and opinion) typically overpriced when compared to other brands of similar quality.

As you mentioned, you probably could have saved a few bucks by buying stuff at LeisurePro. If you like the fit of the Scubapro Crystal Vu, LP has them in stock. Exercise the "search" function on ScubaBoard to decide whether you want to buy gear online or at your local dive shop.

The color of the mask frame has no real bearing on the dive experience...but you can attempt to color coordinate it with the rest of your dive gear (if you are so inclined). :) People like to debate the merits of having a clear mask skirt vs. a black mask skirt. An obvious observation is that the clear skirt will admit more light, but some people complain of "side glare." For this reason, some photographers insist on buying a dive mask with a black skirt. Something to keep in mind is that the clear mask skirt will yellow with age.

The Apollo Biofins can be pricey. Lots of people swear by them. I hope you like them.

The snorkel...well...as long as it doesn't have one of those new-fangled "dry" attachments the size of a grapefruit...then you still have my respect. But seriously, as long as it works, it will do just fine.

I hope that your LDS didn't pressure you into buying all of that gear right before your first class. I really hate it when a salesman takes an OW student by the hand and says: "You've got to get this..." At least it sounds like you've got good quality gear...that hopefully fits.

On the whole, I have to agree with Thalassamania about ScubaPro gear. Enjoy your OW class.

Have fun and dive safe.

I hope that your LDS didn't pressure you into buying all of that gear right before your first class. I really hate it when a salesman takes an OW student by the hand and says: "You've got to get this..." At least it sounds like you've got good quality gear...that hopefully fits.

Quite the opposite in fact... and unfortunately to some degree. Usually in any of my other sporting hobbies, I would at least know some brand names and degree of quality. This is very new to me and my runway of getting the requisite gear was quite short since the course starts this week. So I really didn't get a chance to look around.

The salesperson was most likely knowledgeable but not really helpful. This is one of the rarest time that I could have used a lot of hand holding and truly at the mercy of the salesperson but really didn't get much direction. For example, she pointed at the display of masks and told me to pretty much pick one that I liked.

On the whole, I have to agree with Thalassamania about ScubaPro gear. Enjoy your OW class.

Have fun and dive safe.

The ScubaPro stuff may end up on eBay once I complete the course and get a better sense of my "needs".

THANKS!

I would not go that far. You'll probably not get anywhere near what you paid for it. If the mask fits keep it. The fins while pricey may serve you well for many years. Boots again the issue is do they fit and are they suitable for the type of diving you'll be doing? If so- good choice. As for the snorkel I have several. My favorite is one that folds up and stashes away in a pocket when I actually take it on a dive. You could have probably gotten more help with the selection but fact is the best way to try a mask is pick one see if it fits and go for it. You should be able to take the mask and hold id to your face with the strap not on your head. Inhale slightly through your nose- the maks should seal and you should be able to look up and down, side to side and not have it come off. If it does great, if not you'll probably have issues. Remeber the strap DOES NOT hold the mask on. Water pressure does that. In fact if you tighten the strap too much it will leak. Now clean the thing! Hot water and plain ol toothpaste or soft scrub without bleach. clean the lens inside until it squeaks. Then clean it again. Now any defog is called for. I personally have not found anything better than my spit. Spit, rub, quick dip to rinse, and done. In the sales persons defense alot are just there minding the store. THey may not even dive or if they do they are new as well. But you should have gotten more direction from her.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is a great forum full of useful information!

I have to adjust my schedule a bit (i.e. cut out of work early even after a week vacation) but I plan on going to the Leisure Pro retail store. At the very least I can replace the items that I purchased at Pan Aqua with the exact same stuff and save about 50%! An example is that the Apollo Bio Pro C-series at Leisure Pro is less than what I paid for the Apollo Bio Pro with the regular adjustable straps at Pan Aqua. Pan Aqua only gives store credit so I'll use it for the open water dives.

With that said, if I didn't just replace the items for the same exact items, what other makes/models should I look into? Of course I'll see if the suggestions fit me when I get to Leisure Pro.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is a great forum full of useful information!

I have to adjust my schedule a bit (i.e. cut out of work early even after a week vacation) but I plan on going to the Leisure Pro retail store. At the very least I can replace the items that I purchased at Pan Aqua with the exact same stuff and save about 50%! An example is that the Apollo Bio Pro C-series at Leisure Pro is less than what I paid for the Apollo Bio Pro with the regular adjustable straps at Pan Aqua. Pan Aqua only gives store credit so I'll use it for the open water dives.

With that said, if I didn't just replace the items for the same exact items, what other makes/models should I look into? Of course I'll see if the suggestions fit me when I get to Leisure Pro.

Hi! You're opening a can of worms here. The problem is that many many people will chime in here tell you that 'X' is the best. The problem is that many of them won't know what they're talking about and extolling the virtues of 'X' is, for the most part an attempt at validating their own equipment choices.

What I recommend you do is hang on to the gear that you already have... it will come in handy at some point, whether it is because the selections that you made really are the best for you, or whether it's because you'll need spare stuff for when your nephew comes to visit or whatever. Next, with the gear that you have, dive as much as you can. Use this board to network with divers that live in areas that business or pleasure may take you. Tell them that you are exploring gear. The same motivation for external validation of equipment choices will compel divers to lend you their gear to try it out. As proof of this phenomenon, I cannot help but offer you the use of my Jet fins, Scubapro frameless, and Halcyon BP/w if you ever find yourself in South Florida. I am in Manhattan quite frequently, but I seldom bring my stuff when I'm up that way.

Here is a list of what I currently dive, and naturally, I think that you should dive it too.

Atomic ST1
Halcyon Eclipse 30# ss BP/w
Jet fins
SP Frameless
Pinnacle Seal 3mm when its warm
DUI TLS 350 when its cold

Happy Memorial Day and happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom