Basic computers: Aeris XR1 or Oceanic Veo 100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Putting together a gear package (first time) and looking for a simple, basic wrist computer.

I see these two available at the online places with low-ball prices: the Aeris XR1 and the Oceanic Veo 100, both under $150. Tempting.

We do not dive nitrox, we only dive tropical recreational, and we're looking for the basics here. Honestly, this computer will be a stop-gap solution - I figure we will wait a couple years for the new color OLED/LCD computers (like the Mares Icon HD or Uemis Zurich SDA) to mature a bit (and to come down a bit in price). After waiting a bit, one of these days we'll buy the more expensive units with air integration and all the bells and whistles. But for now, we're looking for something simple. Surely these are basic computers with few frills. That's OK for us for right now.

What I'd like to hear about is, which of these has a better display ("better" being clearer, with large digits, easily interpreted - especially for those of us whose near vision isn't what it used to be). Easy to use, and reliability is nice too, of course.

Thanks.

We've got the XR1-NX, and are very happy with them. The cost difference is negligable, and it will handle EANx if you should decide you want it in the future. They're easy to read, easy to use and rock solid reliable.

We've got the XR1-NX, and are very happy with them. The cost difference is negligable, and it will handle EANx if you should decide you want it in the future. They're easy to read, easy to use and rock solid reliable.

:no: Actually, the price difference is not negligable (at least not by my standards :wink: ). For example, everybody's favorite online shop has the XR 1 NX for $319, but sell the non-nitrox XR1 for just $144 - less than half the price of the XR1 NX.

Other then the ability to do nitrox (which I do not need now and probably won't for at least a few years), the two units appear to have very similar capabilities.

Several of the big online shops are all selling the XR1 for a similarly low price. I am guessing that these are "last year's model" and they're looking to blow out their stock to make way for the newer model - your XR1 NX.

So, it's good to hear you like yours. Because I'm thinking I'll probably like the non-nitrox model even more for less than half the price. :D

Thanks.

I like mine fine (Aeris XR-1) I've only used it for a few dives so far but I wanted something to use in the same manner as you. A stop gap that will correct for altitude and when i buy another computer become my back up.
It's display though, IMHO is a bit dark.

........ Aeris XR1 and the Oceanic Veo 100........

What I'd like to hear about is, which of these has a better display ("better" being clearer, with large digits, easily interpreted ......

You can see both in actions in our classes: Veo100 class e XR-1 class

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just ordered 2 Aeris XR1 units from scubatoys. Looks like a very nice bit of basic gear at a fantastic price.

DiveNav, I'll probably check out the eDiving course, thanks for the pointer.

Putting together a gear package (first time) and looking for a simple, basic wrist computer.

I see these two available at the online places with low-ball prices: the Aeris XR1 and the Oceanic Veo 100, both under $150. Tempting......

What I'd like to hear about is, which of these has a better display ("better" being clearer, with large digits, easily interpreted - especially for those of us whose near vision isn't what it used to be). Easy to use, and reliability is nice too, of course.

Thanks.

I use the XR1, my wife uses the Veo 100.

As you probably know, they are 90% the same computer (same company makes them, exact same algorithm, all the same exact functions, but different "brand" names, cosmetic look, and very slighty different display layout/presentation).

The XR1 has slightly darker numerals on the display.... the Veo 100 has a slightly better (cleaner) layout of its display.... but they are so close, I really don't have a preference. They both display the same data as you cycle through the displays and use the same icons.... just the display is arrange slightly differntly, but the exact same data is displayed in each display.... they really are the same computer.

We are really happy with ours, and if you are sure you will just be doing recreational, no-nitrox dives, they are rugged, easy to use, and reliable, and I'd buy either again.

Best wishes.

Am looking at getting the veo 100 myself and found this thread.

Isn't the xr1 a hose/attached console and the VEO 100 a wrist computer?

No, the XR1 can be either console or wrist.

....Isn't the xr1 a hose/attached console and the VEO 100 a wrist computer?
both computers could be found in 2 different form factors: console and wrist. Additionally the console could have - or not -an integrated analog compass.

The Veo 100 is out of production as it has been replaced by the Veo 1.0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom