Base in Padang Bai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In these uncertain times I would want confirmation as to whether PCR tests are in use prior to boarding a flight to and from Indonesia, and its impact to your itinerary. I wouldn’t trust travel agents per se to be up-to-date with the latest developments; furthermore, it would be extremely disheartening if your child was refused a boarding pass because they had tested positive to COVID. I recently posted that a similar situation had occurred in Thailand, and the OP replied with ‘what’s new’, which I thought was very insensitive and completely unacceptable. As one of the true diving legends of our time would say: what if? A mother’s bond to her children is endearing. I’m sure most of us would feel emotionally distressed after witnessing a loved one being lead away by airport security personnel, and told they will be held in an isolation facility for a minimum of seven days on precondition they return a negative test result before removal from said quarantine. My advice would be to check your insurance policy is in order and that contingency plans are in place for such an event.
Hundreds of people have been tested positive after arrival and ended up in isolation hotels or hospitals. Often with little children. This is a very serious risk. I completely agree with you.

I was very hesitant to post the info because the dive manager will be the same person and perhaps they'll have managed to employ an even more amazing hotel/restaurant manager. Perhaps new ownership will be able to infuse more capital into the operation, once they're up and running again.

Hundreds of people have been tested positive after arrival and ended up in isolation hotels or hospitals. Often with little children. This is a very serious risk. I completely agree with you.
Of course it is a concern - but even though you test on arrival you go to your hotel, so still nobody is going to take our daughter in the airport.
We know the risk, but the way it’s looking now, quarantine (and hopefully testing on arrival) will be gone by July.
Still we can’t predict this virus, a new variant my emerge and cause another havoc, then we have a new situation and will have to assess our travel plans.
During the pandemic we’ve been traveling to UAE, Portugal, Iceland and Maldives without any problems.
I know: it only takes 1 positive, but in Denmark at one point I got tested (PCR) once a week (it’s free to get a test in Denmark, and encouraged at that point to test weekly)- working in a school, no masks allowed - so many, many tests (and even more quick tests) all but 1 negative (and got very sick))

You've had covid then? What about the rest of your family?

You've had covid then? What about the rest of your family?
Me and son had covid - he had a positive test beginning of January, I tested positive on January 25th (he doesn’t live with us, so not from him)
Husband tested positive (PCR) February 7th - no symptoms, so we paid for a private (and more sensitive) PCR test on February 8th - it was negative.
Daughter tested positive February 22nd, sneezed 2 times and that was it.
All fully vaccinated - I’m boosted (1 J&J and 2 Pfizer), son and husband tested positive, before the could get the booster, (but husband has 2x sinopharm from Uae and 2x Pfizer in Denmark) both will get booster before we travel. Daughter can’t get booster.

Make sure they are administered at least 2 wks before commencing of the trip.

Have a nice trip.

In these uncertain times I would want confirmation as to whether PCR tests are in use prior to boarding a flight to and from Indonesia, and its impact to your itinerary. I wouldn’t trust travel agents per se to be up-to-date with the latest developments; furthermore, it would be extremely disheartening if your child was refused a boarding pass because they had tested positive to COVID. I recently posted that a similar situation had occurred in Thailand, and the OP replied with ‘what’s new’, which I thought was very insensitive and completely unacceptable. As one of the true diving legends of our time would say: what if? A mother’s bond to her children is endearing. I’m sure most of us would feel emotionally distressed after witnessing a loved one being lead away by airport security personnel, and told they will be held in an isolation facility for a minimum of seven days on precondition they return a negative test result before removal from said quarantine. My advice would be to check your insurance policy is in order and that contingency plans are in place for such an event.
Of course it is a concern - but even though you test on arrival you go to your hotel, so still nobody is going to take our daughter in the airport.
We know the risk, but the way it’s looking now, quarantine (and hopefully testing on arrival) will be gone by July.
Still we can’t predict this virus, a new variant my emerge and cause another havoc, then we have a new situation and will have to assess our travel plans.
During the pandemic we’ve been traveling to UAE, Portugal, Iceland and Maldives without any problems.
I know: it only takes 1 positive, but in Denmark at one point I got tested (PCR) once a week (it’s free to get a test in Denmark, and encouraged at that point to test weekly)- working in a school, no masks allowed - so many, many tests (and even more quick tests) all but 1 negative (and got very sick))
I agree that if there is no new variant by then, in July most or all of the restrictions will be memory. Highly probable, but not official yet, that starting 07 March boosted arriving people do not have to quarantine at all anymore. But test before departure, upon arrival and a couple of days later again. After 4 days free to travel through Indonesia. However, a positive test still can force you into isolation in a hotel or hospital (if old or with comorbidity).

Also, look into staying at Bloo Lagoon Eco Resort. They have beautiful views, a big resort pool, good food, an "on-demand" shuttle van to town, and villas where your kids can have separate bedrooms.
I think I'll probably end up staying at Bloo Lagoon for 10-12 days before my Banda Sea liveaboard trip. Can anyone comment on their wifi? I'll need to work in the afternoons/evenings and will need reliable wifi (ideally in my room). I probably won't need to do many Zoom calls but would like the option to do so if needed. Other resorts I've talked to in Bali have said their wifi is either not great or only available in public areas.

I think I'll probably end up staying at Bloo Lagoon for 10-12 days before my Banda Sea liveaboard trip. Can anyone comment on their wifi? I'll need to work in the afternoons/evenings and will need reliable wifi (ideally in my room). I probably won't need to do many Zoom calls but would like the option to do so if needed. Other resorts I've talked to in Bali have said their wifi is either not great or only available in public areas.

If you are in Bali just get your own 4g sim card and use your phone for tethering. For some remote locations you may find even getting a cell phone signal is difficult. Of course there are satellite wifi systems

If you are in Bali just get your own 4g sim card and use your phone for tethering. For some remote locations you may find even getting a cell phone signal is difficult. Of course there are satellite wifi systems
Is this an option for people from the US? I thought our phones were locked in with our carriers and changing the sim card wasn't allowed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom