Base in Padang Bai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Padang Bai jetty is hands down my favorite dive in Bali. When conditions are right the macro opportunities are insane: frogfish galore, all kinds of nudis, blue-ringed octopus, ghost pipefish...

Sadly, we may have lost that dive as the government may have closed it to all fishing and diving. I know it was closed and back in use with big ships last year. Since then I have heard people are diving it again, but am not certain.

The Padang Bai jetty is hands down my favorite dive in Bali. When conditions are right the macro opportunities are insane: frogfish galore, all kinds of nudis, blue-ringed octopus, ghost pipefish...

Sadly, we may have lost that dive as the government may have closed it to all fishing and diving. I know it was closed and back in use with big ships last year. Since then I have heard people are diving it again, but am not certain.

I will have to keep this site in mind when I do eventually do Bali & Raja Ampat in the future.

Hi all
Finally we (Husband, son 20, daugther 11 and me) felt we could fly to Indonesia again and last night I booked tickets for Bali in July.
We're already booked 7 days in Alor (Alor divers) and 5 nights LOB in Komodo (Wunderpus - Mimic boat) - booked for 2020, but of course got postponed. Before we go to Alor we have about a week in Bali, during this week I think we'll do 3 dive days (prefer 3 dives a day), so our son can get used to diving again (dived in Azores July 2021)

Since we've been to Amed/Tulemben and Nusa Lembongan before, I was looking at Padang Bai as a base. I'm just wondering, if PB is the right base for us, or if we should base ourselves somewhere else (where?) and travel to PB on the days we want to dive?

It would be wonderful, if we could see mola, mola and son wants to see sharks (not sure, if any dives out of PB have a chance of sharks?), I love macro and husband enjoys nudies ("easy" for photography).

Since our daugther don't dive (problems with the eustatic tube), we want a hotel with pool and "easy access" to activities like rafting, cyckling, zip line/tree top or similar for the non diving days.

Any ideas for a base? Area, city, hotel/resort? - apart from the pool we just need ac, private bathroom and a clean bed, restaurants nearby would also be good.

TIA
In these uncertain times I would want confirmation as to whether PCR tests are in use prior to boarding a flight to and from Indonesia, and its impact to your itinerary. I wouldn’t trust travel agents per se to be up-to-date with the latest developments; furthermore, it would be extremely disheartening if your child was refused a boarding pass because they had tested positive to COVID. I recently posted that a similar situation had occurred in Thailand, and the OP replied with ‘what’s new’, which I thought was very insensitive and completely unacceptable. As one of the true diving legends of our time would say: what if? A mother’s bond to her children is endearing. I’m sure most of us would feel emotionally distressed after witnessing a loved one being lead away by airport security personnel, and told they will be held in an isolation facility for a minimum of seven days on precondition they return a negative test result before removal from said quarantine. My advice would be to check your insurance policy is in order and that contingency plans are in place for such an event.

In these uncertain times I would want confirmation as to whether PCR tests are in use prior to boarding a flight to and from Indonesia, and its impact to your itinerary. I wouldn’t trust travel agents per se to be up-to-date with the latest developments; furthermore, it would be extremely disheartening if your child was refused a boarding pass because they had tested positive to COVID. I recently posted that a similar situation had occurred in Thailand, and the OP replied with ‘what’s new’, which I thought was very insensitive and completely unacceptable. As one of the true diving legends of our time would say: what if? A mother’s bond to her children is endearing. I’m sure most of us would feel emotionally distressed after witnessing a loved one being lead away by airport security personnel, and told they will be held in an isolation facility for a minimum of seven days on precondition they return a negative test result before removal from said quarantine. My advice would be to check your insurance policy is in order and that contingency plans are in place for such an event.

ATM things in Indonesia are changing every week. New rules those with 2 shots and booster less quarantine time.

Absolute Scuba may be kaput. They had a change of oownership just before the pandemic and were existing on air. The general manager of the hotel/bar/kitchen, an amazing guy, unexpectedly died last fall.

Absolute Scuba may be kaput. They had a change of oownership just before the pandemic and were existing on air. The general manager of the hotel/bar/kitchen, an amazing guy, unexpectedly died last fall.

Errh... what? Olivier, the belgian guy? Jeeze... sad...

It is, very sad. I mourn him still. His wife remains distraught and lost.

I'm a huge fan of Gekko... Give them a bit to answer. It is a huge holiday week in Indonesia and especially Bali: Monday was a National holiday, and Bali's Nyepi is Thursday. Nyepi is a BIG deal and people are probably already be home in preparation for such. The island literally shuts off everything on Thursday as everyone must be silent.

There is a dive out of Padang Bai and Candid Dasa that is 99% guaranteed little sharks in a cave. Sharks + cave = happy son. I love Padang Bai for a few days: solid macro, can run to Nusa Penida for coral drift dives, some "alternatives" to Crystal Bay with deep cold walls and potential mola mola maybe even in July. There is a little something for everyone.

Also, look into staying at Bloo Lagoon Eco Resort. They have beautiful views, a big resort pool, good food, an "on-demand" shuttle van to town, and villas where your kids can have separate bedrooms.

Unless things recover very quickly, Padang Bai and Bali traffic will not be as you remember. Nor will Kuta and Legian. Seminyak along the water is doing OK, but driving around makes one pretty sad. There isn't much left anymore. Do know the businesses who are open will be thrilled to have you there. If your 20-year-old is looking for fun he needs to be in Canggu. That is where the parties are. Canggu is, at least in relative terms, doing very, very well.
Sharks+cave= happy son and mother:-D - Gili Bahia it is! Bloo Lagoon is full on our dates. How long does it take from PB to Canggu? (I know the timings on google maps isn't allways relaiable.) Could he take a taxi there and back one evening? Although I think he'll be fine with whatever.
Do you know, if Bali Tree tops will reopen? I saw there was a new zip line/swing thing called De Brokong - have you heard anything about them?

Thank you for your thoughts. Our insurance is good - also for covid - delay, isolation, hospital if sick all coverd (actually the only thing it does not cover is 2 wheeled motorised travel, so no scooters for us)

I don't think it will be very likely that airport security personel will take our girl away - there's no testing on departure in the airport, so I don't see how this could happen. It may happen, if the test to fly is positive, but she's fully vaccinated and just had covid last week. (I know she can get it again) Of course it's a what if, but I plan to bring quick tests to use before we go for testing, just in case... I'm actually much more worried about the rumours that some hotels/agents (in Jakarta it seems) have forced people in quarantine by saying they had a positive pcr - without providing any proof of the positive test.

Very sad. Thank you for the info - I'm in contact with Puri Rai, and will try Geko again after Nyepi.

Sharks+cave= happy son and mother:-D - Gili Bahia it is! Bloo Lagoon is full on our dates. How long does it take from PB to Canggu? (I know the timings on google maps isn't allways relaiable.) Could he take a taxi there and back one evening? Although I think he'll be fine with whatever.
Do you know, if Bali Tree tops will reopen? I saw there was a new zip line/swing thing called De Brokong - have you heard anything about them?
Great news that Bloo Lagoon is full... Maybe people really are coming back.

PB to Canggu is easily 1.5 hours... Probably closer to an hour and 45 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom