Base in Padang Bai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all
Finally we (Husband, son 20, daugther 11 and me) felt we could fly to Indonesia again and last night I booked tickets for Bali in July.
We're already booked 7 days in Alor (Alor divers) and 5 nights LOB in Komodo (Wunderpus - Mimic boat) - booked for 2020, but of course got postponed. Before we go to Alor we have about a week in Bali, during this week I think we'll do 3 dive days (prefer 3 dives a day), so our son can get used to diving again (dived in Azores July 2021)

Since we've been to Amed/Tulemben and Nusa Lembongan before, I was looking at Padang Bai as a base. I'm just wondering, if PB is the right base for us, or if we should base ourselves somewhere else (where?) and travel to PB on the days we want to dive?

It would be wonderful, if we could see mola, mola and son wants to see sharks (not sure, if any dives out of PB have a chance of sharks?), I love macro and husband enjoys nudies ("easy" for photography).

Since our daugther don't dive (problems with the eustatic tube), we want a hotel with pool and "easy access" to activities like rafting, cyckling, zip line/tree top or similar for the non diving days.

Any ideas for a base? Area, city, hotel/resort? - apart from the pool we just need ac, private bathroom and a clean bed, restaurants nearby would also be good.

TIA

I used to stay at Puri Rai hotel in PB which had everything you mention (3 pools and large grounds) for a good price. I read from Wisnu's report it was closed during the pandemia... has it re-opened yet, I have no idea.
I would also dive with Gekodivers (been using their services for almost 10 years) they have very good fast boats, provide dives to local PB and Nusa Penida. May be it's better you ask them what's open or not in the area.
The good thing with PB is that it is very quiet in the evening, just like a village with a choice of restaurants open. you will certainly be attending the live blues night on mondays at the Omang Omang/Double barrel restaurant, gathering of all PB celebrities (esp. the owner James :D ) or the more traditionnal Ibu Jero grilled fish restaurant.

Some people diving PB like to stay in Candi Dasa, personally I don't like the location along a very frequented road. Probably more comfortable accom options but I don't like the idea of being 30 minutes car ride away from my hotelroom with a transfer ride in the morning and having to wait in between morning and afternoon dives downtown or at the dive center.

My wife is a non diver hence I prefer to be closer to the hotel so we can enjoy more time together.

That said if you also need time on land to travel Bali and do land activities, I would rather suggest you to stay a couple of days in Ubud. Some say it is too crowded and touristy, I still enjoy Ubud's typical atmosphere walking away from the main street (also home of some the best restaurants in Bali). However you wouldn't stay in Ubud to dive PB, it would take too much time to transfer (approx 2hrs with terrible traffic jam sometimes)

PS : I envy your trip, esp. going back to Gilles' place in Alor.

Thanks, Luko!
I’ve already emailed geko, but haven’t had a reply yet:)
We actually loved Ubud, last time, and maybe I was kind of hoping it would be ok to stay there and dive PB (although knowing traffic in Bali I should know better).

Since daughter and I start with 4 days in Kuta/Legian or somewhere near water boom, I was hoping for just 1 more location in Bali as we’re already moving around too much for my liking.

Might have to wait with a decision and see if puri rai opens again, (do you remember anything about prices per room?) as you say: staying at (or very close to) a dive op is good when traveling with non divers.

Should our daughter decide to take up diving, where (from Bali, Alor and Komodo), would be the best place to let her dive (I e no current, max 10-12 m depth, good viz and lots of fish to see?) In Komodo we already have a snorkel guide for her alone, so she won’t be too bored on the boat

Does anyone have good (or bad - please pm) experiences with ok divers I PB? It’s tempting to just book with them as it’s dive resort and op in one.

Soooo much looking forward to diving Alor and feel I already know Gilles - always so fast response to my many, many emails over the years (we planned this trip back in 2018😳)

There is nothing to do in the evening in Padang Bai so perfect for a young family. Very quiet indeed.
"Easy access" to activities? No idea because I am not interested as a solo diver.
Absolute diver also has good reputation.

July is too early for mola mola.

There is nothing to do in the evening in Padang Bai so perfect for a young family.

July is too early for mola mola.
Hmm, might be too quiet for a 20 year old, looking for some fun:-/

Good to know about the Mola - won't get our hopes up then.

Hmm, might be too quiet for a 20 year old, looking for some fun:-/
Send him over to Gili as the ferry terminal is only a stone throw away from Absolute or Geko(a wee bit further down the road)!
Some of the sites are quite a distance away so you need to make sure the non diver is welcomed on board.

I'm a huge fan of Gekko... Give them a bit to answer. It is a huge holiday week in Indonesia and especially Bali: Monday was a National holiday, and Bali's Nyepi is Thursday. Nyepi is a BIG deal and people are probably already be home in preparation for such. The island literally shuts off everything on Thursday as everyone must be silent.

There is a dive out of Padang Bai and Candid Dasa that is 99% guaranteed little sharks in a cave. Sharks + cave = happy son. I love Padang Bai for a few days: solid macro, can run to Nusa Penida for coral drift dives, some "alternatives" to Crystal Bay with deep cold walls and potential mola mola maybe even in July. There is a little something for everyone.

Also, look into staying at Bloo Lagoon Eco Resort. They have beautiful views, a big resort pool, good food, an "on-demand" shuttle van to town, and villas where your kids can have separate bedrooms.

Unless things recover very quickly, Padang Bai and Bali traffic will not be as you remember. Nor will Kuta and Legian. Seminyak along the water is doing OK, but driving around makes one pretty sad. There isn't much left anymore. Do know the businesses who are open will be thrilled to have you there. If your 20-year-old is looking for fun he needs to be in Canggu. That is where the parties are. Canggu is, at least in relative terms, doing very, very well.

There is a dive out of Padang Bai and Candid Dasa that is 99% guaranteed little sharks in a cave.
Yep, forgot this one : Gili Biaha.

I have stayed in PB 3 times, and have always stayed at Puri-Rai (if open) and dived with Gekko. I've also stayed and dived in Tulamben - only drawback with Tulamben is to many divers. If you are trying to find the best macro and nudi place in Bali, I don't think I can adequately compare PB with other sites in Bali. Luko would know. At the Pier in PB, I've seen Rhinopias frondosa (weedy), frogfish, one of my favorite nudis, Janolus, the largest school of catfish I've ever seen, and even schooling pufferfish (have never seen that elsewhere). But I also know that there is very good macro/muck diving in Tulamben and nearby Seraya, altho many of the nudis there are too small for my ancient eyes.

We have stayed and dived in Padang Bai on several occasions. We far preferred it to Candidasa with all that screaming relentless traffic. After dusk Padang Bai is very quiet usually and many of the bars have live music. Absolute Scuba are an excellent outfit. They have nice rooms and bungalows around a garden and a pool. As others have said the jetty is a wonderful site and many of the other sites have good numbers of sharks, very nice coral and great macro. It’s also quick and easy to go to Manta Point.From July onwards there should be Mola Mola. Another great spot is Liberty Dive Resort where you get your own guide and set your own schedule. The macro is amazing and the Liberty Wreck is fabulous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom