Base in Padang Bai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a dive out of Padang Bai and Candid Dasa that is 99% guaranteed little sharks in a cave. Sharks + cave = happy son. I love Padang Bai for a few days: solid macro, can run to Nusa Penida for coral drift dives, some "alternatives" to Crystal Bay with deep cold walls and potential mola mola maybe even in July. There is a little something for everyone.

Yep, forgot this one : Gili Biaha.

Here is the dive briefing for it:

I think I'll probably end up staying at Bloo Lagoon for 10-12 days before my Banda Sea liveaboard trip. Can anyone comment on their wifi? I'll need to work in the afternoons/evenings and will need reliable wifi (ideally in my room). I probably won't need to do many Zoom calls but would like the option to do so if needed. Other resorts I've talked to in Bali have said their wifi is either not great or only available in public areas.
When are you going to Banda Sea? I'll be there 21 Nov - 2 Dec on Pindito.

When are you going to Banda Sea? I'll be there 21 Nov - 2 Dec on Pindito.
Not until October 2023- I just love planning far in advance! Bloo Lagoon is almost all booked up for my dates though so I’m glad I’m booking early.

Reactions: Dan
Just giving you guys some updates on this thread.
First, the Jetty is still dive-able. There has been more boat activity on occasion. During the G20, two Indonesian frigates docked there for the night. You guys should have seen the faces of the military when they saw me paddling my surfski under the Jetty one morning LOL! The Jetty has not been as prolific for macro in the last few months. It is probably just seasonal and is now getting better.
Second, Absolute Scuba is still running. Both the hotel, diveshop and restaurant (best pizza in town and happy hour cocktails) are working as usual. Olivier, the former manager, unfortunately passed suddenly a while back, RIP brother! Marsha from Java is now running the resort. Her German boyfriend Julian is running the dive shop. These guys are good friends of Geko...
Third, the reggae bars are now shut, RIP too! These have been replaced by dive shops, a gelato, a sandwich and a coffee place. For restaurant recommendations, I'm confident to give the following:
- Fish: Ibu Jero, by the corner of the harbor in the same street as Zen Inn. Tasty whole fish, shrimps and cuttlefish depending on the catch of the day. Ibu Jero and her family are the friendliest guys in town (after Geko's guides, of course!)
- Western & Asian: Omang Omang has great Western & Asian dishes for all palates. I love the pulled pork burger and their beef rendang is the best in town.
- Fat Thursdays: Rico and Ayesha put together a great night for diners on Thursdays. Set meal that changes every week. Options range from Couscous to Beef Strogonoff through a ton of different options.
- Pizza: La Cabana @Absolute Resort. They even have a great vegan pizza, but my personal favorite is the Diavola with extra chillies and cheese, yum!

Best night out is music night at Omang Omang every Monday... Don't miss out!
Bias Tugel/White Sand Beach is still a great option for lazzying around after the dives. I'd also recommend taking a walk to the shore through the Silayukti parking. There is a great little temple set amongst the volcanic stone formations. It's actually built on a blowhole and makes a furious noise when waves abound.

Just giving you guys some updates on this thread.
First, the Jetty is still dive-able. There has been more boat activity on occasion. During the G20, two Indonesian frigates docked there for the night. You guys should have seen the faces of the military when they saw me paddling my surfski under the Jetty one morning LOL! The Jetty has not been as prolific for macro in the last few months. It is probably just seasonal and is now getting better.
Second, Absolute Scuba is still running. Both the hotel, diveshop and restaurant (best pizza in town and happy hour cocktails) are working as usual. Olivier, the former manager, unfortunately passed suddenly a while back, RIP brother! Marsha from Java is now running the resort. Her German boyfriend Julian is running the dive shop. These guys are good friends of Geko...
Third, the reggae bars are now shut, RIP too! These have been replaced by dive shops, a gelato, a sandwich and a coffee place. For restaurant recommendations, I'm confident to give the following:
- Fish: Ibu Jero, by the corner of the harbor in the same street as Zen Inn. Tasty whole fish, shrimps and cuttlefish depending on the catch of the day. Ibu Jero and her family are the friendliest guys in town (after Geko's guides, of course!)
- Western & Asian: Omang Omang has great Western & Asian dishes for all palates. I love the pulled pork burger and their beef rendang is the best in town.
- Fat Thursdays: Rico and Ayesha put together a great night for diners on Thursdays. Set meal that changes every week. Options range from Couscous to Beef Strogonoff through a ton of different options.
- Pizza: La Cabana @Absolute Resort. They even have a great vegan pizza, but my personal favorite is the Diavola with extra chillies and cheese, yum!

Best night out is music night at Omang Omang every Monday... Don't miss out!
Bias Tugel/White Sand Beach is still a great option for lazzying around after the dives. I'd also recommend taking a walk to the shore through the Silayukti parking. There is a great little temple set amongst the volcanic stone formations. It's actually built on a blowhole and makes a furious noise when waves abound.

I never found the reggae bars. Didn't even know about them so I'm not as heartbroken as I otherwise would have been. At first I thought that you were talking about Omang Omang and my heart did drop then. I was very relieved to read that they still have live music on Mondays.

As for Oli, I remain heartbroken, yes, for myself but especially for Miyah. What a character he was. 🥲

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom