bare wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I havent been able to find many reviews on Bare wetsuits. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or heard anything good or bad about them.

I have two WVUdiver1 a 7mm arctic and a 2/3mm. Really like them both. Our LDS sells tons of Bare wetsuits so many of us around here are diving in them. So far I havent run into anyone with complaints.
Cheers

I have a Bare wetsuit...

I started out with a Bare 3/2 two-piece suit. I found that I didn't like the two piece too much, so went to the Velocity one-piece 3/2. I wore that out then got another exactly the same. (I now use this suit in the swimming pool.) I then got a Bare Velocity 5mm suit which was great. I then got a Bare Elastek 3 mm, which I LOVE because of its flexibility. It is sometimes chilly, so I then got a Bare Velocity 5 mm hooded vest (it's a shorty with no sleeves and a hood) to go over the 3 mm. Then I got a Bare Elastek 5 mm.

I love the Elasteks. They're stretchy, easy to get on, fit like a glove. Very comfortable. I wear the 3 sometimes, the 5 sometimes. Sometimes the 3 with the 5 mm hooded vest, and on a recent trip to Galapagos, wore the 5 mm with the 5 mm hooded vest and was super comfortable. Bare has a decent range of sizes which I also appreciate.

I guess you could say I'm a fan. :)

-kari

ok. thank you

I am looking at getting the Bare 5/4mm Velocity for my first wetsuit. I also like that they have a wide range of sizes because of my shape. I notice that you are from Canada jw what water temps do you dive in yours and still feel comfortable?

I'm a bit of a weenie I think when it comes to cold. I wear the 3 mm if it's 80 degrees or warmer... currently wearing the 5 mm at 77 or 78 degrees, and feeling a bit chilly. The 3 with the hooded vest would be better I think, for me at this temp. In Galapagos, wearing the 5 and the hooded vest, temps ranged from 68 (I was a bit chilly) to 78 (I was super toasty).

When I dive at home in Alberta lakes, I wear a drysuit.

Humans vary a lot in their comfort... On a dive boat I might see folks in t-shirt and shorts, while I'm wearing two wetsuits.

okay i was just wondering. i tolerate cooler water to around 70-65 degrees. the reason why i ask is that i plan on diving in water around 70-75 and was just trying to see what mil people were using in different water. because right now being in school i dont have that much money to spend on scuba gear but i figured that a 5mm or def a 7mm would be the best for me in the area that i will be diving in.

I've got a BARE Velocity 3/2 and I've been very comfortable in 70-75 degree water...but then I find I'm pretty cold tolerant. I've been very comfortable in tropical waters that were described as 'freezing' by the locals. :hm:

I'm also impressed by BARE's variety of sizes...I'm a bit tough to fit [big torso, somewhat short arms and legs] but the BARE XL Short fits me perfectly. Very comfortable, good construction quality...I'd buy another one quite happily.

Another comment on Bare suits. I have a 3/2 full suit, not the Elastek but the cheaper model (>$100 at Scubatoys) and I have 225 dives on it. It's still in excellent shape, neoprene has crushed down a bit of course, but everything is still in good shape. No tears, no zipper problems, nothing. I can safely say I got my money's worth out of this one!

okay i was just wondering. i tolerate cooler water to around 70-65 degrees. the reason why i ask is that i plan on diving in water around 70-75 and was just trying to see what mil people were using in different water. because right now being in school i dont have that much money to spend on scuba gear but i figured that a 5mm or def a 7mm would be the best for me in the area that i will be diving in.
First off, BARE makes great quality wetsuits/drysuits and that is really what they are known for. Only recently did the start getting into other diving equipment.

As you probably know, everyone's thermal characteristics are different. A couple of questions for you:
What is your size and build?
Can you define "tolerate cooler water"?
I see you have less then 30 dives so is "Tolerate" in proportion to dive time? Most newer divers aren't good with their buoyancy/control/air consumption thus their dive time suffers. Also, newer divers can sometimes "tolerate" water temp because they are working off of adrenaline. Once you start slowing things down a little, your buoyancy, control and air consumption gets better and that adrenaline wears off and then you start feeling that water a little bit more. A lot of active divers don't even want to gear up unless they are going in for at least 60 minutes so try to think about how you would be if you were submerged for about around 70 minutes (good benchmark). You may not be there right now you will get there so it is better to buy right the first time then to have to re-spend that money again.

Bare makes Excellent products I own a Wetsuit as well as Drysuits and they are top Notch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom