Bare Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm inclined to order a Bare Trilam HD Tech drysuit. I'll probably place the order within the next day or two.

I'm wondering if people who have purchased Bare drysuits in the past would do anything differently (lessons learned) when it comes to the choices about seals, gloves, footware or anything else.

I'm especially interested in the Bare drysuit footware. Bare says the drysuit comes with either: 1) compression resistant soft boot; or 2) vulcanized compressed density neoprene. I'm a little unsure about the pros and cons of each of these two options, so I'd appreciate some thoughts and experiences.

Regarding gloves, I'm planning on using the Diving Concepts snap on system.

Thank you for any input.

Michael

I have this suit and find it to be really good. Go for the zippered pockets on both sides and suspenders though. The pocket it comes with is pretty useless. I have the socks and find the boots are very comfortable and easier to walk on rocky surfaces. (better traction)

I've had both boots on my ATR-HD. I started with the vulcanized boots, which were slightly big on me, and I found them similar to having blimps on my feet. perhaps if they were a size smaller that wouldn't have been an issue, but I replaced them with the neoprene soft boots and wear 'Converse All-Star' sneakers over them. I've been much happier with those.

I have that suit. Forget the snap on dry gloves. Go with Viking Bayonet. The best I used. I had the snap on and needed way to much help getting them on and off. Pockets. Two bellows are the best and easiest. I had the Bare ones and had them ripped off and installed heavy duty diving concepts ones. Latex neck seal. The boot system that look like rock boots are great. I would change to bungie shoe laces. Much easier to deal with. Great suit. Also as far as underwear. GO with CT 200 or T100 I can't really feel the difference between the two.

I have skinny feet so I would also recomend the Rock Boots as they are less prone to trap air. The Converse All Stars will do the same.

*** A note about the suspenders. I purchased these after the fact for $50 and found them to suck in ways I can not describe. I ended up returning them and making 3 sets of far superior suspenders for..... $7 and a total of 15 minutes of work (for all 3 sets). If anything, these should be FREE for what's involved on a suit of that price.

Suspenders are fine if you cross them over your head first.

Thank you for all of the input so far. It's interesting and helpful.

For those mentioning the boots as their preference, did they fit in your existing fins or did you need to change fins for the boots to fit in?

Thanks.

Michael

I used XL Jetfins with XXXL vulcanized boots on my size 12 feet, and downsized slightly to Turtles when I made the switch to XXL soft boots with size 13 Chuck Taylors.

I got the neoprene sock, I wish it was smaller, they run a bit big so keep that in mind.

I have that suit and find it to be quite nice. Configured mine thusly:

- vulcanized boots, XL; a bit TOO large on my size 10.5 feet but OK with a thin pair of socks and thinsulate bootliners

- factory installed suspenders and they work fine

- factory installed bellows pocket with velcro; works fine, don't think I'd be able to work the zippered version with thick gloves

- factory installed cuff rings, but I might take them off as I'm plenty warm with 6.5mm "High Tide" kevlar gloves in 42*f water.

The XL vulcanized boot fits XL Jetfins fine, and is perfect for boat diving. I don't do much shore/rock/surf entry stuff so I don't think the Rockboots would be of value to me. (One more thing to forget/lose as well.)

In balmy NJ water (42*) I'm nice and warm with this suit, the CT200 undergarments and a pair of Patagonia polypro longjohns. Occaisonally add a layer of cheap-o fleece as well. (Came free with my suit from Richard at Divetank.com)

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom