Bare Dry Suit Storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what i've read for my drysuit, silicone on the seals is a big no no!!! I also understand that my drysuit should be stored on a wide hanger, not folded up but i'm sure each manufacturer probably has their own suggestions. I'll look up some up and post them.

For a DUI suit as an example here are guidelines they give, some are universal.
-Do not hang drysuit in the sun
-Hang drysuit for long term storage, zipper open and away from sunlight, electric & gas appliances
-seems implied that folding up in drysuit bag is for transport or short term only.
-"do not use silicone lubricants which can build up on the suit resulting in problems when repairs are needed"

Total opposite of OS Systems then again taken from their website http://www.ossystems.com/diving/congr.htm

"Wash the rubber with a mild soap and water solution to remove all contamination from body oil, pollution, lotions, etc.
Apply silicone to the cleaned rubber. Insure that you are using a food grade silicone grease, oil or spray "

I know with cars paint you do not want to put the silicone on it or it makes repairs much harder. Here we are talking about regluing seals and using MEK to prep them. Small traces of silicone should not harm anything and in fact should never penetrate that deep into the glue or something is wrong.

If you are not comfortable doing it then don't. I can say we have been using silicone for years on our drysuits and replaced many tears caused not by wear but by impacts or other such issues, usually when doning or doffing.

This is similar to what the BARE instruction manual says. Don't fold or roll up the suit unless you really need to. If possilbe, store the suit drapped over a piece of PVC pipe.

This is what I have done. I also have covered the suit in an old garbage bag up to the top of towel rack. This will help prevent exposing the suit to dust and light.

JustinW:
From what i've read for my drysuit, silicone on the seals is a big no no!!! I also understand that my drysuit should be stored on a wide hanger, not folded up but i'm sure each manufacturer probably has their own suggestions. I'll look up some up and post them.

For a DUI suit as an example here are guidelines they give, some are universal.
-Do not hang drysuit in the sun
-Hang drysuit for long term storage, zipper open and away from sunlight, electric & gas appliances
-seems implied that folding up in drysuit bag is for transport or short term only.
-"do not use silicone lubricants which can build up on the suit resulting in problems when repairs are needed"

your suit has built in boots, so hang from the boots, this will keep any moisture inside the suit from pooling in the boots..a not so nice feeling when u don your suit next time :wink:

AquaGuy: I think it also depends on which suit you get. I roll & store my Bare nexgen, but it is made of different material than yours. I figure if you follow the instructions that came with the suit, then you should be good :)

Bjorn

AquaGuy:
Hey Guys,

I have placed all of my old wetsuits in storage and made room for my new drysuit. I used an old towel rack with a piece of PVC pipe over the metal pipe so it won't rust to drape my new drysuit over. This is how I plan to store it in the garrage (San Diego, warm climate etc).

What do you think? Is this the correct way to store it between dives?

Thanks

Here is a pic

AquaGuy
Home Depot or Lowe's;
bought 2" pvc plastic pipe,some T's and 90's, cut lengths into an H shaped frame with 90 fittings on the long ends,
those ends go into the legs and support the boots from the inside, upside down,
I can hose it off, inside & out and it stands to drip dry,
when dry, talc the rubber and wax the zipper and it stands on it's head waiting for the next dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom