Bare D6 vs SP Everdry 4 longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

punisher911

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are everyone's opinion between the Bare D6 and SP Everdry4? I like both, but I'm thinking the tougher outer layer of the Bare would last longer. Again, just my guess. I wanted some educated opinions before I bought one or the other. I can get them around the same price, so that's no issue.

I don't know the Bare range and the SP will out last you if you look after it. Doing wrecks, tight penetrations in caves and the likes will have an impact on life span. These suits are stronger than you might think.

Thanks for that. My concern is the wrist seals of the SP. I wonder how hard it is to get the neo wrists repaired/replaced if they go bad. The way they are glued/sewn on looks like it has to be sent back to SP for replacement.

I don't know the Bare range and the SP will out last you if you look after it. Doing wrecks, tight penetrations in caves and the likes will have an impact on life span. These suits are stronger than you might think.

Well....

I'm not objective either so I've avoided responding up to now.

I've been diving in dry suits since before Bare was called Bare. My first drysuit was a prototype trilaminate suit, custom made for me in 1989 from a company called Fitzgerald (which is now called Bare) and all of my drysuits since then have been Bares..... that's not an accident, and tilts my hand.

With all due respect to ajduplessis I can actually give you some facts about dry suits.

Regardless of manufacturer, Neoprene suits thinner than 7mm are made from "crushed" neoprene. There are three types of Neoprene suits. (1) Untempered (whatever you want to call that), suits made from 7mm neoprene, (2) suits that are made by putting the neoprene under high-pressure to reduce the size of the bubbles in it during processing (generally 5mm in thickness) and (3) suits that are neoprene but thinnner, which are crushed neoprene that has had a layer shaved off.

The main difference in this category falls out into two main characteristics.

the first is buoyancy. The thicker the suit, the more buoyancy it has (and therefore the more weight you need to compensate). The reason for the shaved neoprene is to reduce the amount of weight needed to keep it under water.

The 7mm suits are.... frankly... awful, and it doesn't matter who made it. a 7mm neoprene drysuit has a LOT of inherent insulation but the buoyancy shifts betwen the surface and say... 30m are significant, which make them pretty much useless to recreational divers. They're cheap to buy, but that's for a reason... They're crap.

the 5mm suits (regardless of who makes them) are good for recreational divers... point out. They strike a good balance between warmth, buoyancy characteristics, robustness and price that makes them popular and good choice. Moreover (and this is both a strong point and a weak point) 5mm suits are virtually indestructable. They're popular among serious wreck divers because you could swim through a hail of knives (which is what serious wreck diving sometimes feels like) and the thick, robust neoprene offers tank-like protection from pointy things that will make holes in most other suits.

The 3mm suits ( the shaved ones ) are a good choice for divers who want a neoprene suit and are willing to pay a bit more for more flexibility and the abililty to dive deeper. From what my friends tell me, the 5mm suits lose too much buoyancy on dives deeper than 50-55 metres to be useful for deep diving beyond recreational limits. That's bad if this is what you're doing but the 5mm suits are fine for the other 99% of the world. If you have aspirations of diving deeper on the short term then you should choose a trilaminate suit (read down). Like the 5mm suits, the 3mm ones offer much more robust protection from a hail of knives than the average trilaminate suit

Ok... now the other major alternative... bilaminate and trilaminate.

Both of these can be seen as plastic coated tent material... They have no affect at ALL on your buoyancy and have no inherent insulation. They are the preferred suits for divers making regular dives deeper than about 30-40m because of their buoyancy characyteristics but you need to think a lot more about the undersuit... with a neoprene suit, the undersuit, looks more like something you would ski in... with a trilam suit, it often looks more like a sleeping bag. The point being that the undersuits are more bulky and therefore need more ballast. A trilam suit may act more balanced at depth, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll need much more weight to dive in one....

The BIlaminate (bi=two layer) and TRIlaminate (tri=3 layer) differ in difficulty in manufacturing (and therefore price) but also differ in how robust they are.

The most well known BIlaminate suit is the Bare Nexgen. it's inexpensive, a bit loose fitting and very prone to developing leaks. You can fix those leaks with a bicycle repair kit but believe me, having an unexpected pinhole leak that sprays water in your crotch during a 90min dive is enough of a pain in the ass that I wouldn't recommend them.

Trilaminate suits are made by most manufacturers including Bare. Sometimes they have an external cover of a tough fabric and that makes them much more robust. Some manufacturers, like DUI and UR, charge (a LOT) of extra money for this robust external layer and some, like Bare, do not. That's a major difference.

Nevertheless, this post should give you a good idea of the different technologies and what they can do for you.

There is one last point to be made.... the valves. There are two main manufactuers of inflator and deflator valves... Si-tech and Apeks.

In my personal opinion, Si-tech valves are better. They're smaller, they work better and they don't leak. The apeks valves, on the other hand, are larger, they don't work as well and they leak.

That's a bit of a generalization but I think a lot of drysuit users would agree with me.

Bare uses Si-tech valves, as do many others, an example of a suit that uses inferior valves is the DUI (despite it's high price).

Ok... now why you read this thread.... what should you buy.

I can't really advise you but I can say a few things that I think you will find valuable

- do not buy a 7mm neoprene suit
- do not buy a 5mm neoprene suit if you intend to dive deeper than 50m
- if you intend to dive in a hail of knives (ie. wrecks) and at recreational depths then I would tend to prefer a 5mm or 3mm neoprene suit to a trilam suit
- if you want to spend your money on staying dry then don't buy a bilaminate suit (for rentals they're excellent, but not if you own one)
- if you want to dive to extreme depths or you are looking for a good all-round suit that can grow with your interests, then I would tend to choose for the trilam suits provided it has a sturdy external layer.
- buy a suit with si-tech valves if you want to stay dry because the alternative is serious crap.

R..

I am a rec diver and don't plan on going deeper than 30m-40m. I would like to do some wrecks but not my total focus. Why do you prefer a neo suit over a tri-lam for wrecks? I am starting to lean towards the Everdry 4. 4mm so less change at depth, Si tek valves, comes with suspenders, and tighter fit for less drag.

I am a rec diver and don't plan on going deeper than 30m-40m. I would like to do some wrecks but not my total focus. Why do you prefer a neo suit over a tri-lam for wrecks? I am starting to lean towards the Everdry 4. 4mm so less change at depth, Si tek valves, comes with suspenders, and tighter fit for less drag.

Well.... i've owned both types of suits, dove extensively in both and made a great many dives on and in wrecks, including the aformentioned "hail of knives" types. My conclusion is that you can you dive any wreck with both types of suit but that you're less likely to spring a leak in the thicker neoprene suits.

Given what you said about not wanting to go deeper than 40m and diving the occassional wreck (which I assume to mean that you don't want to go worming your way through the inside of it). then I would think that any suit you choose would do..... I'm reluctant to advise a brand but I personally think that any 5mm/3mm or trilam suit with an external fabric covering and Si-Tech valves would serve you well for many years.

R..

wow, i found this super informative Diver0001. can you tell me what you recommend in terms of latex vs neoprene seals? any differences for neck and wrist?

also do you recommend the boots built into the suit or the socks with boots you have to wear separately?

edit:
oh sorry, i didn't mean to hijack the thread... but I will say this, my first instructor, a tech diver from the uk, recommended bare drysuits over all others to me. i like bare's lifetime guarantee even if you are not the original owner. i too am looking to eventually buy my first drysuit.

I bought the SP today. I will post a review once I get some dives on it. Speaking of your instructor, mine is a huge SP fan. He has 5 drysuits and seems to prefer his SP. His wife wants one as a back up to her Apollo. I ended up getting a good deal on the SP. $150 less than the good deal I was getting on a Bare D6. I like the neo socks over built in boots for longevity.

wow, i found this super informative Diver0001. can you tell me what you recommend in terms of latex vs neoprene seals? any differences for neck and wrist?

I think this comes down to a matter of personal preference. For myself I like the neoprene neck seal and the latex wrist seals. If you have a latex allergy, of course, that will make your decision easy.

One thing I do notice is if you're making a lot of dives that the latex neck seals tend to rub a bit and some people get irritations from that.

also do you recommend the boots built into the suit or the socks with boots you have to wear separately?
If the boots fit it doesn't matter. The older Bare suits had large shoes that were a bit floaty and when they first came out I didn't like them very much, but the newer ones are better.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom