Bare Cuff Rings...drygloves...numb wrists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian Craigster

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I ordered my new XCD2 Tech with dry cuffs factory installed on the suit. I've only got a couple dives in it, but have noticed something that causes me some alarm....

When diving wearing the CT200 undergarments, my wrists go numb and I loose feeling in my hands after a short time. The suit has the bottleneck latex seals, apparently the size large ones (19.5 cm around the wrist). If I don't wear the CT200, my wrists are fine. If I wear the 200, I have problems attaching the glove to the cuff (the bottle part of the wrist seal doesn't want to retreat back into the cuff and the bit of excess glove & liner material get in the way). Without the 200, no problems.

Anyone with any ideas how to avoid the numb wrists & hand problem ? I haven't stretched the seals yet, probably I should stuff a soup can or bottle into them for a day or 2, but the problem seems to originate with the CT200. Perhaps I should be pulling the sleeve of the underwear back further from my wrist ??

Since I have the cuff rings installed on the suit, I should be able to pop the existing seals out and replace them with different ones, (either larger or the conical and trimable style), rather than fight with the bottlenecks. Anyone with advice of what brand / part # / supplier to deal with looking for replacement wrist seals ? Are they an expensive thing ??

Thanks all. This is just too wierd. I love the suit, but am struggling with the "appreciation curve" for the cuffs and gloves. I didn't have this problem with my last suit (didn't have dry gloves, but did have the Bare bottle seals).

Craig

I just got a new CD4 and I also noticed my hands going numb (and this is without the undergarmets on!) It must be the tightness of the latex seals. I think I will try stretching mine as well...

It may indeed be because of the undergarment getting pinched weirdly or something. My fiance had a similar problem with her skin underneath a tight-fitting wetsuit. She pulled the cuffs of the skin up her forearm and the problem went away. YMMV of course.

My right wrist is always really ******y about seals. I trim the seal to be quite loose on my right wrist. My arm gets a bit damp after an hour or so, but no pain.

I would try taking a ring off the seal until the numbness goes away.

Peter

I have a similar problem with my 7mm wetsuit - my hands don't go numb, but they swell up and the swelling persists for a day or so. They also tend to get really cold when the rest of my body is just fine. I was thinking about trying to find someone to put zippers in them, but does anyone have any ideas on how I could try to stretch them? Thanks!

cmt489:
It must be the tightness of the latex seals. I think I will try stretching mine as well...

It is the tightness of the seals. Those dang bottle necks don't allow for proper sizing (IMO) If you really want to do it right you can send the suit off to Superior Dive Repair http://www.drysuitrepair.com/ and have Mark install some regular latex wrist seals (like the one's on the DUI suits) that you can cut to your exact size. His prices are so affordable that you just might want to go for it.

Numb hands are a very very bad thing to have under water.

-Chris

Shove can of soup into the wrist for a week. Repeat with larger cans as needed. :)

Peter

WaterKtn:
does anyone have any ideas on how I could try to stretch them? Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I will try the cans and if that doesn't work I'll get new cuffs - great idea and sounds better than zippers... :)

Since the seals are fine if you do not have the c200 on then I would suspect that the problem is with the way the c200 is getting under the cuffs. If you are trying to put the latex cuffs over the cuffs of the c200 then that is way to thick and will cut off your circulation.

Pull the c200 back up your arm to allow the latex cuff to sit on your skin as is intended. If you notice that the c200 is too tight in the cuffs then perhaps you should stretch that out.

I doubt streching the latex seals will last very long. Neoprene would stretch and "stay" better.

I have an XCD2 pro and am thinking on the dry glove system as well. I do not have any problem with the bottle neck seals diving with wet gloves but I have to remember to pull my undie wrists back a bit to let the seals sit on my wrist.

If you are having a problem with "hand squeeze" you may need to run a tube under the latex seal to equalize the glove with the suit. Normally this should not be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom