Bare 7mm Arctic Vest - anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi,
has anyone ever used this thing? It's a sleeveless, hooded vest that goes over the one piece suit with a zipper in front. looks like something that I really need to fight a small leak from the upper back (just above the zipper) on my one piece Pinnacle suit. The link to the item in question is below:

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003117&dept_id=170

Thank you in advance

I have one. Prior to getting my drysuit, I would wear it over my Bare Arctic 7mm fullsuit on dives below 50 F. It worked very well for me and allowed me to dive wet down into the low 40's. The only "pain" is the way the zipper terminates right at the chin/lower lip. It took a little getting used to for me to have a zipper right on my lower lip with the pull tab flopping around.

I have one and use it a lot with my Arctic 7mm full suit. It works. In XL it reprsents 10.5 pounds of buoyancy. It will do wonders to close off the back zipper and neck opening while adding to your core right down through your groin.

Here's me wearing it and I like it a lot! Helps keeping me warm and fits snuggly. I wear it under my wet suit, though. Works as a semi-dry suit for me.

Also, I don't need more than 1 kg of lead to counterbalance its buoyancy.

It dries quickly, too. So, it helps a lot on consecutive dives when your wet suit still feels cold and wet and there's too much wind and not enough sun to keep you warm.

Here's me wearing it and I like it a lot! Helps keeping me warm and fits snuggly. I wear it under my wet suit, though. Works as a semi-dry suit for me.

Also, I don't need more than 1 kg of lead to counterbalance its buoyancy.

It dries quickly, too. So, it helps a lot on consecutive dives when your wet suit still feels cold and wet and there's too much wind and not enough sun to keep you warm.

That's actually slightly different than the one the OP is talking about. I have the one in your picture also and I wear it underneath my 3mm Pinnacle Seal. Bare also makes a 7mm Arctic zippered hooded vest that is designed to go over a 7mm fullsuit. That is the vest he is asking about.

Oops, sorry, my bad. Didn't notice the zipper part and as OP's link didn't get me directly to the product I've assumed this was it.

Yep, tried that one as well. On that same dive even - where that photo was taken. :)

Felt very buoyant in it, but very warm also which was good. Didn't quite like the zipper on my chin, just as you said in your previous post. Everything else about it was great.

I have it too and wear it in combonation with the Bare 7MM fullsuit. I find it quite constraining around the neck out of water but in water its fine. (of course it is 14MM of neopreme around the core) I have used it in water temps as low as 38F. While cold at the end of the dive, can last about 25-30 minutes at that temp. It is also nice because to don't get the rush of near freezing water into the suit that you get with the one piece or most farmer john combos.

I just bought one with the 7mm full suit (came together) and had used them in the past (rentals). Great 14mm suit! The vest does a great job in adding warmth over the main suit. It is a bit rigid over a full 7mm suit (neck area as mentioned above), but depending on yours it might not be too bad. They are durable and a great bang for the buck. If it fits you right (try it on if possible, they make many many sizes), it's surely a good buy!

Just my 0.02$

If the neck is bothering you zip it up and inflate a volleyball in the neck and let it set for a few days. Give it that Nutty Professor look. Repeat if needed.

Pete

Thanks Spec, that's an interesting tip! Will that stretching damage the neoprene? I guiess it's all a question of how much I inlfate...

I'll definetly check it out.

Cheers!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom