Barbecuing at the Breakwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would just be respectful of other people when BBQ-ing. Not everyone wants smoke stacks blowing on them. Set up downwind of people perhaps. As for the beer - I wouldn't recommend it - I just see so many regs put into place regarding unrelated things (such as BBQs) b/c people have been drinking and it appears to be a whole incident/nuisance.

I would say to test the waters with the BBQ and see how you get on, sans beer. Maybe mix beer in later if you can.

When are you doing this? I would love to demo a freedom plate. And a BBQ and beer isn't exactly a turn-off either! :D

...The only thing is my barbecue isn't like other barbecues, it's almost a commercial size (55 gallon drum on it's side with a stand, smoke stacks, access door, shelfs on each side.)

Sweet! But I thought your were a minimalist! j/k:D

It's a city park, and Monterey recreational area regulations are posted here, see chapter 23: Monterey, California

Looks like the thing they could cite you on is, not the beer, but having a group permit. Also, you may have to convince someone that your grill is "portable" :wink: but hey if you port it all the way down to Monterey, it MUST be portable. :D

The barbecue is big but it's still portable.
And with beer, it's not a huge deal, but having a few with barbecue sure sounds good. We wouldn't be out of control or anything. I would still have to drive home so 2 is my limit. And cups are good.

We're going to keep this a non event. There woun't be any flyers, banners, or any apparent organized event. We just plan on picking an area and hanging out. Just look for a bunch of mooks diving those wierd looking rebreather regs and wearing no BC. Oh god what's the world coming to!!

We're thinking the last Saturday in September or the first Saturday in October. I'll post something about it in vintage and here on Norcal for those that want to check it out. Infidelxx might be bringing a bunch of completely restored ready to go double hose regulators for people to try out.
There will also be a gang showing up from vintagedoublehose.com

I've had both beer and BBq's numerous times at Breakwater. I've only problems I've ever seen is a complaint from LDS' because a competitor was there at an "official" function. (Used the group permit ordinance as the basis for the complaint) and when people just got stupid, drunk, loud and obnoxious.If your respectful of others, you should have no problem.The ordinanace is there so they can control a situation if it gets out of hand.

Nomad

I once asked a Monterey cop whether it was legal to have a beer in lower
parking lot after diving. His answer was no (public consumption of alcohol)
but he had more important things to look for. Dunno about in the park.

There are several folks who BBQ in the parking lot (which is pretty
obvious, what with smoke and all) and don't get hassled.

My take overall would be: do it, be a bit discreet, and don't ruin it for
everyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom