Barbecuing at the Breakwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Got a question:

I have a few dive functions coming up at the Breakwater at the end of the month, like a vintage/minimalist dive get together and some Freedom Plate demo's, etc.
Are we allowed to set up a barbecue anywhere at the breakwater? lower parking lot, upper lot by the lawn, on the lawn, anywhere around there???
There wouldn'd be any sales of food, it's just for fun and a reward for participants.

Sarah and Mark set up a grill out in the middle of the grass a few years ago for a SB M&G and cooked for everyone. Nobody seemed to mind and it was a big success.

One my instructors carries a little gas grill that he uses on a regular basis and no one seems to mind... In fact, when he breaks it out, people flock around looking for leftovers

There are tables right above the water that are surrounded by gravel. That is where I have seen many people have picnics and BBQ.

I've seen people grilling in the grassy area.

OK great, sounds like it's a go. The only thing is my barbecue isn't like other barbecues, it's almost a commercial size (55 gallon drum on it's side with a stand, smoke stacks, access door, shelfs on each side.)
I can put about 10 tri tips on it at once.
What about cracking a beer around there. I would assume as long as we keep it on the down low we should be fine. You gotta have a beer with tri tip and after a day of diving, I mean come on.

I've never seen anyone drinking a beer there and wouldn't tell you not to if you can get away with it, but I would personally use a cup just in case. Let me know how that goes for you!

Eric, when are you thinking of doing this? I might head down there too, to partake in the BBQ. I could show people a well loved, AKA well used Freedom Plate. Although then they might want the polished version.

Cups keep beer drinkers out of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom