Bar Harbor Maine diving????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dabiz7

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about spending the first week in July doing the Mt Desert Island/Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor gig in Maine and was wondering if there were any dive oppurtunities around here?....what is the water temps in the summer?...any info would be appreciated..thanks

If you're going to be downeast and want to do some diving, I highly recommend making the trip to Eastport and diving at slack tide. You won't be disappointed!

I did my AOW on Mount Desert Island, and other than a moon snail and some urchins I didn't see anything noteworthy. Of course, that was in March, so the water was in the upper 30s.

I have a home in Lubec, Maine the next town over from Eastport and the diving at slack tide beats anything in New England hands down, no competition. I have heard nothing wonderful about diving in or around Acadia.

Acadia is a bout a two hour drive from Eastport. I'll be up there a good part of the summer so if you're interested in some great diving contact me

DSDO

Alan

I didn't know you had a place up there Alan. I used to live in Trescott township, off a fire road between Lubec and Whiting.

dabiz7:
Thinking about spending the first week in July doing the Mt Desert Island/Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor gig in Maine and was wondering if there were any dive oppurtunities around here?....what is the water temps in the summer?...any info would be appreciated..thanks

We went skin diving up there this summer and enjoyed Little Hunter Beach (on the park loop road) Bernard beach in Bernard and Lamoine Beach (straight through past the state park). Also Out towards Moose Island in the Schoodic Peninsulla section of Acadia N.P. Out of 13 dives those stand out.

Saw lots of starfish up in the 6" plus range in a wide variety of colors, sand dollars (alive and leaving tracks) , scallops, urchins. Surprisingly little in the way of fish in the water where we played. We're llloking forward to returning when my wife and I are certified. Also awsome rock formations in some areas. There are some Kayaking guides that have a surprising amount of usable info on what to watch for. I couldn't find any dive references for the place.

We were there in late August 2004 and surface temps were in the mid 50s. As for at depth, I don't know. Dive shops are few so plan your itinerary around getting air fills. Also check w/park rangers then or in advance, they had other ideas for SCUBA but we didn't capture those at the time.

Pete

MSilvia:
I didn't know you had a place up there Alan. I used to live in Trescott township, off a fire road between Lubec and Whiting.

We look out at Campobello Island and the Sparkplug Lighthouse. Spent about eight total weeks up there this year between vacations (lots of banked time), weekends and holidays.

Only local fill station is on S. Lubec Road now about a quarter mile from the house. All the urchin divers use the shop. Guy fills 70 plus tanks a night during the urchin season!

Do most of my diving off Eastport(old steamship pier and Woody Beach), Deer Island and once in a while at West Quoddy Head. Can't beat the diving there. Should you wish to head back there sometime let me know.

Hopefully this link works to this year's Eastport Gallery:

Eastport Gallery

DSDO

Alan

I've dived a bunch of times in Acadia -- mostly on the Schoodic Peninsula, which is a part of the Park that's on the mainland side. Nice easy shore diving, depths offshore in the 30-40 foot range. Fish life not prolific (occasional sculpin) but the anemones, urchins, lobsters and crabs were entertaining. On Mt. Desert Island, there used to be a charter operation at Bass Harbor, which I took to dives around some of the surrounding islands. Don't think they've operated for 5 or 6 years. Regular charter boats seem hard to come by. I've always wanted to drag a kayak along to do some kayak diving -- so many little coves, nooks and crannies to explore. Anyway, I've really enjoyed diving up there. Good luck.

Those certainly are some fine photographs of beautifully colored sea creatures. Magazine quality for sure. I'm impressed. Nice job, Alan!

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
Those certainly are some fine photographs of beautifully colored sea creatures. Magazine quality for sure. I'm impressed. Nice job, Alan!

LobstaMan

Thanks. The Eastport area of Maine is New England's best dive location. Long way to go to dive and currents that can be a challenge (need to dive slack) but well worth a trip due to the variety and abundance of marine life.

DSDO

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom