Banner advertisement overlaying user interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RhatsaRuck

Contributor
Reaction score
south Palm Beach county, Florida United States
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks:

There's a specific banner advertisement that overlays the user interface when it appears on my screen. The advertisement in question is for Dive Unit. I've captured a screen image and attached it to this message.

When this advertisement appears it overlays the red title bar that contains "View First Unread", "LinkBack", "Thread Tools", "Search this Thread", "Rate Thread" and "Display Mode" buttons at the top of each thread. As a result I cannot activate most of these buttons.

Am I the only one experiencing this? I've seen this for at least the last couple of days.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 fully patched with Internet Explorer 8.

If you need more info please let me know.

Pete

Attachments

• ScubaBoardOffCenterAd.JPG
    ScubaBoardOffCenterAd.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 23
That is because the "Dive Unit" banner uses an HTML push from the Whites' Dive Unit website, and also uses "Flash" - Flash can "overlay" the regular scubaboard template, and make other SB stuff appear behind it. Unfortunately, the way this ad is uploaded, I can't make it flip back to be like it should be. So - this should only happen with that banner. It's not you who is specifically having this "problem". The 1/2 assed solution to this is to, try scrolling the nav bar to a different place on your screen (lower down), and hopefully the direction of the nav tools will go UP instead of down, and then you can see it.

That is also the reason that the Whites ad doesn't appear centered in the screen. It doesn't pay attention to the regular style sheet of the page because of where it's coming from.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I was wondering if this was ScubaBoard's way of giving board newbies a wedgie. :D

FYI when this occurs the only way I've been able to see the Thread toolbar is to increase the width of my Internet Explorer window. Fortunately I have a dual monitor setup because it's necessary to widen IE across across 1 1/2 screens.

No point spending more time on it as it happens so infrequently.

Howard, thank you for following up on this.

Back
Top Bottom