Question Bands For USD Triples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll reload the photos when the site allows

Attachments

• 20231002_073052.jpg
    20231002_073052.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231002_073123.jpg
    20231002_073123.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 46
You may want to try these sources as well. ‘The Scuba Museum’. Rob dives triples quite a bit. AandDAdventures. simonbeans@yahoo.com. Or Alec Pierce Scuba.
Wrong triples...he dives a set of old Navy triples [40+cf @ 2250psi] the newer set of USDs are 30cf @ 3000psi and use an angled solid manifold with valve on right side tank....of course neither are made anymore...I do have a set of both....and currently use a band strap that weaves around all three of the 30cf tanks with plastic spacers between the cylinders...old harness on old set of triples, with or without a horsecollar BC...

Anyway thanks for the input from all of you...alas I do not possess welding or fabricating skills and no real machinists out here...

Wrong triples...he dives a set of old Navy triples [40+cf @ 2250psi] the newer set of USDs are 30cf @ 3000psi and use an angled solid manifold with valve on right side tank....of course neither are made anymore...I do have a set of both....and currently use a band strap that weaves around all three of the 30cf tanks with plastic spacers between the cylinders...old harness on old set of triples, with or without a horsecollar BC...

Anyway thanks for the input from all of you...alas I do not possess welding or fabricating skills and no real machinists out here...
YIKES, great observation, though. Rob does like his triples. Again, check out all,of your options. I am constantly learning new stuff. 👍. P S Allan K. ( simonbeans ) may have a lead on a fabricator…not sure if he does his own work, but he has helped me out.

Scott G. Bonser

There were 2 completely different sets of aluminum triples from USD. The had the UDS system which used three tanks in a row I believe, and they had the ABS system which used the curved valve with the reg attachment on the right side. I have a set with the curved manifold. I went "old school" using a rubber spacer (4" rubber plumbing connector from Home Depot cut as required) and hose clamps. I use pony bands to connect a single tank adapter and backplate.

There were 2 completely different sets of aluminum triples from USD. The had the UDS system which used three tanks in a row I believe, and they had the ABS system which used the curved valve with the reg attachment on the right side. I have a set with the curved manifold. I went "old school" using a rubber spacer (4" rubber plumbing connector from Home Depot cut as required) and hose clamps. I use pony bands to connect a single tank adapter and backplate.
Cool Beans, Please send a good photo once you’ve assembled this. 😀🤿
giantfroginthepool

From what I know, limited to be sure, the 70s USD1 triples had the valve at the bottom of the fiberglass over the tanks [left corner?] while the 80s ABS had the valve at top on the right cylinder.. both aluminum..

I have the 80's tanks with the plastic/Delrin inserts between tanks and a wrap around and through webbing strap to secure tanks to a BCD strap slot..

I wish to purchase the ABS plastic/fiberglass cover for my tanks...if anyone has one to sell or knows of someone who does please let me know.

Thanks....DSO

From what I know, limited to be sure, the 70s USD1 triples had the valve at the bottom of the fiberglass over the tanks [left corner?] while the 80s ABS had the valve at top on the right cylinder.. both aluminum..

I have the 80's tanks with the plastic/Delrin inserts between tanks and a wrap around and through webbing strap to secure tanks to a BCD strap slot..

I wish to purchase the ABS plastic/fiberglass cover for my tanks...if anyone has one to sell or knows of someone who does please let me know.

Thanks....DSO
I will keep an eye out for any of these….definitely not easy to find. You may want to send Rob S. w/ TSM an e-mail. He may know of someone who knows someone. David Haas has some pics of what I believe were these, but from long ago. Not really sure though.

Scott G. Bonser

Your local fab shop that has 16g SS and a shear,
That's how I make my bands for steel 72's

If you want, shear mild steel first to get length a hole placement, then get SS to make final bands.

I’m curious, how do you form the bands? Just wrapping around the cylinders? Wrapping around something slightly smaller in diameter for spring back?

I will keep an eye out for any of these….definitely not easy to find. You may want to send Rob S. w/ TSM an e-mail. He may know of someone who knows someone. David Haas has some pics of what I believe were these, but from long ago. Not really sure though.

Scott G. Bonser

Thanks appreciate your help...

DSO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom