Ban mini lobster season.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu:
On average, 8 people are killed everyday in car crashes in the state of Florida. That means about 16 people died on Florida highways during mini-season.

Using your logic, the insane practice or driving should be banned.

According to the CDC, during the 10 year period from 1983-1993, deaths caused by medication errors committed by Doctors increased 8.5 fold.

The insane practice of going to the Doctor should be banned.

You have a higher chance of dying from rabies after being bitten by a rabid squirrel in New York City's Central Park than dying from a SCUBA related accident.
To add to this:
I would assume that everyday people are being killed on their way to golf. Nobody would even think about banning this insane habit(Golf) :)

aquaoren:
To add to this:
I would assume that everyday people are being killed on their way to golf. Nobody would even think about banning this insane habit(Golf) :)
I've thought about it many times! The biggest waste of land aside from cemeteries :wink:

robertphillips5:
It's the Saturday before the FIRST WEDNESDAY in October. That's why it can start in September in some years. Commercial season starts on the first Wednesday in October. Opening day this year is October 2nd for the public. It's definitely a little more mellow out here though, and our Lobters are BIGGER! :wink:
Thanks... I was looking all over the DFG site for the exact logic but could only find opening dates for various years.

What's the logic on the closure date? It's always mid-March, but my buddy and I are aways guessing when (and usually in Cabo the last weekend of the season).

sharpenu:
You have a higher chance of dying from rabies after being bitten by a rabid squirrel in New York City's Central Park than dying from a SCUBA related accident.

So, living in Illinois, I am statistically immune from a SCUBA related death? My chances of:
being in New York 0%

being in Central Park 0%

being bitten by a squirrel in a place that I am not at 0%

the chance that the squirrel that didn't bite me while I wasn't there having rabies 0%

the chance of contracting a disease from an animal that wasn't infected and didn't bite me in a park I was not in while in a different state 0%

The chance of dying from a disease that I didn't contract from a squirrel that wan't infected and that also didn't bite me in a park that I was not in while in a different state...0%

I'm feeling particilarly invulnerable right now.. :wink:

Joe

UUGGH i think the california DFG website is a major pain in the rear! i dont know if they improved it in the last few months but ugh it has never been very easy.

Sideband:
So, living in Illinois, I am statistically immune from a SCUBA related death? My chances of:
being in New York 0%

being in Central Park 0%

being bitten by a squirrel in a place that I am not at 0%

the chance that the squirrel that didn't bite me while I wasn't there having rabies 0%

the chance of contracting a disease from an animal that wasn't infected and didn't bite me in a park I was not in while in a different state 0%

The chance of dying from a disease that I didn't contract from a squirrel that wan't infected and that also didn't bite me in a park that I was not in while in a different state...0%

I'm feeling particilarly invulnerable right now.. :wink:

Joe
So if I don't live in the USA (I don't) you reckon that I'm probably VERY VERY safe?

Mobius1:
UUGGH i think the california DFG website is a major pain in the rear! i dont know if they improved it in the last few months but ugh it has never been very easy.
No better now... maybe even worse :(
In fact, with all of the new changes and proposed/enacted MLPAs, before bug season started in 2002 we were trying to find current data on closures around Catalina.

We could find NOTHING on the crustacean closure from Lion's Head to Arrow Point (one proposed MLPA would have extended this closure all the way around to Ribbon Rock!).
I ended up spending several hours on the phone with various officers, including the guy in the boat doing the enforcement (super nice guy BTW).

The best answer I could get from anyone was "If you've seen it shown as a closure on a map in the past, it's a good bet that it's still closed, since closures NEVER go away".

RichLockyer:
No better now... maybe even worse :(
In fact, with all of the new changes and proposed/enacted MLPAs, before bug season started in 2002 we were trying to find current data on closures around Catalina.

We could find NOTHING on the crustacean closure from Lion's Head to Arrow Point (one proposed MLPA would have extended this closure all the way around to Ribbon Rock!).
I ended up spending several hours on the phone with various officers, including the guy in the boat doing the enforcement (super nice guy BTW).

The best answer I could get from anyone was "If you've seen it shown as a closure on a map in the past, it's a good bet that it's still closed, since closures NEVER go away".
Reading the 2004 regulations, it closes on the first Wednesday after the 15 of March. So March 16, 2005 is the last day of the season next year. Those rules don't change, so you can always rely on that info for California Lobster Season. As far as the Lions Head Pt. to Arrow Pt.; The table on page 32 of the 2004 regs shows a closure for all invertibrates with marine aquatic plants and fishes allowed for sport take.

KimLeece:
So if I don't live in the USA (I don't) you reckon that I'm probably VERY VERY safe?

I would say that statistically, based on presented evidence, you could tech dive using only a spare air and not have any worries. :wink:

Joe

Back
Top Bottom