Balmorhea in christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving Balmorhea in December when there was 6" of snow on the ground and times when it was in the mid-70's. You just can't predict West Texas weather. The water feels like a hot tub when the weather is cold. You won't want to get out. Always check the showers before you get in the pool, sometimes the hot water isn't on. The ducks should be there so you can watch them dive to the bottom to eat.

The park has rooms that are pretty nice and affordable but you have to reserve by calling the Texas Parks and Wildlife in Austin. The other options are El Oso Flojo hotel, Eleven Inn and the Cactus... In that order. The Mexican food place is La Cueva De Oso (Bears Den)... closed on Wednesdays, no breakfast. There is a new grill that opened inside Carrasco Grocery on the main street. They make burgers and breakfast. Those are the only 2 options for food.

Buy fuel before you get to Balmorhea. It is VERY expensive there.

I was there October 20th. It's so shallow I didn't even bother with SCUBA. I explored it by free diving. It only took about an hour and I had pretty much seen it. It was fun.

I used to go out there two or three times a year to assist friends of mine that were doing check-out dives for new students they were certifying. It was actually the warmest, clearest water we had around us in the dead of winter! Often it would be snowing on us as we geared-up. I always dove a 7mm farmer-John suit with a hood and gloves. It was never too bad until you had to pull off your suit after the dives! Brrrr! :errrr:

We usually tried to stay at the cabins at the park. Everyone would bring food and we would have a big party at night with everyone providing a dish.

To me it is sort of one of those been-there-done-that places that unless you have a compelling reason to go back to (like certifying new students!) then I really have little desire to go back to again! Much like the Valhalla Missle Silo near Abilene!

Last edited:
I am going to be at Balmorhea on 12/28-29. Diving with my daughter. We are making a road trip for the week. Driving to Guadalupe Mountion on Monday 12/26 and the hiking on Tue and wed morning, then headed to Balmorhea wednesday afternoon to do some diving on thursday and head back on Friday (to DFW area)

Plan to stay in the park, not sure if we will camp or stay in the motel, depends on the weather. For food, there is a mexican place in town and there a Fina gas station just east of downtown (about 1 mile) on I10, that has a resturaunt in it that makes a pretty decent breakfast plate and burgers next to that is a bar that on the backside is a steakhouse, not great, but didn't suck either.

I get out there a couple of times per year, always enjoy it. You can see the entire uw sights in less than an hour if you take your time, buts since I shoot video, I am often u/w much longer as I am trying to capture some specific animal behavior.

Something else we like to do is to drive over the McDonald Observitory and take the tour. It's about a 45min drive. Also have toured the fort at For smith NP, you go right past it on the way to the observitory. Make sure to check ahead on times of operation for these.

The Fina doesn't have the restaurant any more. Sadly, that used to be our last stop for road food heading home. The steak house and bar are closed too. Rodriguez Grocery in Saragosa closed too.

I agree with Suprane... it is a been there done that dive site. I go once or twice a month to certify students, they love it.

A lot of business close for a week or more in late December. I'd certainly make a number of phone calls to make sure that the dive shop and other businesses needed will be open for dates planned. It's 44 miles to Pecos and not even much there anymore. Balmorhea population is only 500 or so, and while I bet they are grateful for dive shops bringing training business - I doubt that any will this month. The area has seen a lot of decline since the river, creeks, and wells dried up. It still has a lot of charm and some of the ruins are interesting, but plan well.

If you're not a member of AAA or other auto club, it might help to join the free one at https://goodhandsroadside.allstate.com/ghrs/ghrweb/common/home so you'd have a number to call for assistance. Surely the cell phone service is better at Toyavale by now?

Something else we like to do is to drive over the McDonald Observitory and take the tour. It's about a 45min drive. Also have toured the fort at For smith NP, you go right past it on the way to the observitory. Make sure to check ahead on times of operation for these.
Would that be the Davis Mountains State Park at Fort Davis TX?

BTW, I think the area is under a burn ban, if that will affect your camping ideas.

wife cancel my idea.. said : "too cold" i dont want to suffer... :(

Sorry to hear that! I'm thinking about going out there in Jan or Feb. Let me know if you are interested in a weekend or possibly weekday if you are free and I'd be more than happy to join you, or perhaps tag along with you and the boss....I mean wife. :D

Man! Everything is closed down. I am going to have to rethink my meal plan. I might have to pack-in all of my food for the week.

Nope, the actual Fort in Fort Davis is a National Park. Instead of going right towards the State park and the observitory, you hang a left and go about 1/2 mile and the original Fort is on the right.

There is a burn out there, though charcoal and campstoves/gas grills are allowed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom