Bali: Vaccinated against Rabies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to bali every year for 1-5 weeks over the past 5 years. Have visited the bat temple, gone to the monkey forest and walked the streets late at night and never seen any animal that looked rabid. Maybe good to check anyway if there is a recent outbreak?

In Ubud dogs often do roam the alleys late at night in packs. It can be a bit intimidating but one useful trick is to scoop down and pretend to pick up a rock and throw it at them over hand - if you look agressive, they will scatter.

I remember a few family dogs in the places you are headed but not many and never had a frightening encounter.

Bali is paradise! Have fun!

You peaked my interest in the topic so I just googles "bali rabies outbreak 2010." Sounds like there was a problem in the Denpasar area, but pretty small scale. The fear was the outbreak might spread and impact the tourist industry.

It might be worth reading some of the articles just in case for some strange reason you are among the .01% of visitors/residents who happens to scratched by an infected animal. Wade through the newspaper drama and statistically it sounds like the chances are pretty slim :).

Totally agree with Kathydee. The odds are so small I personally wouldn't give it a second thought. The people of Indonesia value tourism and do everything in their power to make it a safe destination. Just like all places in the world, there is always a chance of having something happen. Enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom